Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Crazy Rocket 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 20:27
    Crazy Rocket

Complex shop project : using Merchello or implementing from scratch?

Hi everyone,

So, I am currently working on building a rather complex ecommerce website and I am wondering which way would be more fast for me: doing it from scratch using Umbraco or using Merchello.

Now, about me:

• I am quite comfortable with Umbraco as I've been working full time with it for two full years and I had the chance to get certified.
    • I have a pretty good idea how to build the ecommerce website from scratch, and although the development would be quite involved, it's nothing I can't do.

About the ecommerce website, it should do the following, amongst other things:

• Sell "normal" items
    • Sell reservations and time slots for events all year round, with calendar-style availability management in the backend.
    • Generate invoices, send automated emails, manage user account, etc.

So, my question is the following: should I Merchello this project or not, considering it would be my first project with it. Is the learning curve steep or not for an advanced Umbraco developer, and how customizable are its feature considering I would have to do a very specific implementation.

So, if any of you is a Merchello/Umbraco expert and can give me some insight about what would be the fastest way to do complete such a project with the given parameters, I would be highly interested!

Thanks!

• Søren Spelling Lund 1797 posts 2786 karma points
    Feb 06, 2017 @ 09:48
    Søren Spelling Lund

Hello,

I don't know much about Merchello, but I would like to point out that there are other options for commerce on Umbraco like uCommerce. Full disclaimer: I founded uCommerce, so I'm biased :)

We have many examples of working with bookings in uCommerce for hotels, tours, training, and others like LOI, Robinsons Brewery, and I Amsterdam. Generally speaking they fit well within the catalog model of uCommerce including inventory tracking.

Of course, you won't get a calendar-like approach to managing availability for events, but if you need the calendar view you can extend the back-end of uCommerce for products which require it. In addition the default variant editor will work for what you need OOTB, but the workflow is not as elegant as the calendar approach to be fair.

We do Q&A sessions online for anybody interested in leveraging uCommerce, I'd be more than happy to schedule a session for you, so you can see how it would work and ask any questions you like.

Please reach out the ssl AT uCommerce DOT net if you're interested in a session.

Also developer training on uCommerce for Umbraco is free, so you can hit the ground running with uCommerce. The next session is scheduled for March 13 2017.

Thanks and have an amazing day! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft