Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wolfie 25 posts 141 karma points
    Feb 06, 2017 @ 17:02
    Wolfie

Styling the Umbraco Back End

Ok, I simply can't read some of the text in the back end. Specifically the notes on page content items.

New page, ... on Page Elements. Brings up a list. Its the small #CCC text describing what it does.

I did poked at it and found the relevant style. ".umb-actions-child li .menu-label small"

In a bizarre path: http://mysite.com/DependencyHandler.axd?s=L3VtYnJhY28vYXNzZXRzL2Nzcy91bWJyYWNvLmNzczsvdW1icmFjb19jbGllbnQvdHJlZS90cmVlaWNvbnMuY3NzOy91bWJyYWNvL2xpYi9ib290c3RyYXAtc29jaWFsL2Jvb3RzdHJhcC1zb2NpYWwuY3NzOy91bWJyYWNvL2xpYi9mb250LWF3ZXNvbWUvY3NzL2ZvbnQtYXdlc29tZS5taW4uY3NzOw&t=Css&cdv=1817943544

So, I hit Agent Ransack and searched for the text. Is located in only one file. \MyServer\Somewhere\mysite.com\Umbraco\assets\css\umbraco.css

So, thinking I found where it is, I changed the color to #337 (a dark blue) just so I know I had the right piece. Saved the CSS.

Refreshed the page...and its still gray. So I touch web.config. Still gray. I log into the server and recycle the app pool AND restart the web service.

Still gray.

When I pull up the CSS again, its showing CCC in the style. Yet in the CSS sheet, its not.

Ok, what the heck? Is the CSS baked into the DLL? I can't imagine anyone doing such a thing but hey, anythings possible.

Is it cached in the DB somewhere? I certainly understand that would be possible.

It really shouldn't be that hard to make some text in the admin area a bit more readable.

Anyone know how to tweak the back end styles? I am obviously failing miserably at it.

• Kevin Jump 2312 posts 14698 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 06, 2017 @ 17:20
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

the styles are heavily cached by umbraco.

there is server level caching with the client dependency framework, and your browser will also cache things when you view the page.

To break the cache:

1. update the version number in the clientdependency.config
    2. open chromes dev tools (right click inspect) click on the setting menu (three dots top right) and select settings and then Disable Cache (while devtools is open)

reload.

But: While working on things you might want to set debug="true" in the complitation tag in web.config - this will disable the clientdepdency framework from minifing all the styles. then you just need to ensure your browser isn't caching - when you reload the page.

Any finally - don't hack about with the inbuilt styles it will make updates a nightmare (honestly it will be a pain!)

instead create a folder inside app_plugins (i.e mystyles), and put a package.manifest file in their with a single line pointing to a stylesheet file

{
        css : [
            "~/App_Plugins/mystyles/styles.css"
        ]
    }

create this stylesheet (style.css) and umbraco will load the stylesheet into the back end of umbraco and you can use the stylesheet to change any styles you might want too.

and when you upgrade umbraco your own styles won't be overridden.

• Wolfie 25 posts 141 karma points
    Feb 06, 2017 @ 20:13
    Wolfie

Thank you for answering the question as asked. And even a bigger thank you for providing the a better solution than what I was attempting and thus preventing headaches later down the road. Bravo!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft