Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Caglar Tasci 19 posts 125 karma points
    Feb 10, 2017 @ 19:48
    Caglar Tasci

Moving umbracos database to another Server breaks current instance

Yesterday i moved my Umbraco database to another server. If i now open the project - whatever which page/view - umbraco automatically starts the "install" wizard screen, but without really (re)installing it. the loading animation is spinng - endless.

there is a error in the debugger too - but the issue is that the umbraco instance should not start the wizard. its a existing and working project.

i checked the database connection and it's working too. The only difference this database server has compared to the previous one, here i have to pass a Port too. so the string is like

connectionString="server=XX.XXX.XX.XX\SQLEXPRESS, 1987;database=UmbracoDB; user id=...

enter image description here

Do i need to change any value in a database table ? like the current IP

Thanks in advance for your help. Best regards

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 11, 2017 @ 23:43
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Caglar

If you try to connect to this connection string with MSSQL Management studio, is it working?

We have to test connection string for sure.

You don't need to change any tables in database.

Thanks.

Alex

Feb 12, 2017 @ 20:30
    Caglar Tasci

Hi Alex,

yes, i can connect without any issue over The MSSQL Studio.

Feb 12, 2017 @ 22:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Caglar,

I would recommend to try without whitespace, like that: connectionString="server=XX.XXX.XX.XX\SQLEXPRESS,1987;database=UmbracoDB; user id=...

I hope it will help. Thanks,

Alex

Feb 13, 2017 @ 15:39
    Caglar Tasci

i tried it and it did not effect. same issue yet. ( i already checked the ports too) . i think i will move the database and the Project to the same Server.To much trouble :)

But Thank you very much for your efforts

Feb 13, 2017 @ 16:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Caglar, you are welcome.

Today I struggled with a similar issue and I fixed my connection by creating a rule in Windows firewall for sql server port.

This post describe all places where remote connection can be closed -

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/walzenbach/2010/04/14/how-to-enable-remote-connections-in-sql-server-2008/

Thanks,

Alex

Feb 13, 2017 @ 16:12
    Caglar Tasci

i already set my custom Port (,1987), but i will give it a try. i already know that the ports of the server where the database is located are open. i will check again the port from the server which hosts the project. maybe this will fix it.

thanks

Feb 21, 2017 @ 10:00
    Caglar Tasci

I found the problem. i moved my database from one server to another server by using the backup/restore task. but this procedure did not set the tables schema as its origin table schema. so it did not transfer primary keys, foreign keys..and so on ... this was the reason the umbraco instance did not find his "working database". i used another methode to copy the database, and now it's working.

Anyway...Thank you for your efforts @Alex Skrypnyk

Cheers !

• Cliff Chavis 1 post 71 karma points
    Sep 25, 2020 @ 20:48
    Cliff Chavis

How did you end up moving the data so it worked for you? I'm having the same type of error.

• Alex 18 posts 90 karma points
    Sep 26, 2020 @ 11:58
    Alex

If you work with Visual Studio go to Tools>Sql Server> New data comparison

But can't you just restore a .bak file?

Feb 21, 2017 @ 10:01
    Alex Skrypnyk

You are welcome, Caglar, and thank you for sharing with community.

Have a nice day,

Alex

• Mike Olund 45 posts 66 karma points
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 21:23
    Mike Olund

I just had the same error.

It turned out I had forgotten to add the user account to the DB owner role on the restored DB.

• Anand Vishwakarma 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 17, 2022 @ 06:22
    Anand Vishwakarma

Hi @caglar I am facing same issue when i transfer all files and database to new server. Database backup i have restored by .bak file and also i have plesk panel so created and restore from there also in both case site not working its coming default umbraco page and when i change credential to old server its working fine. So i thought you have fixed that issue but i could not understand what you have done. Please guide me also.

Thanks Anand

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft