Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 23:10
    blackhawk

I'm a front end developer

Hello, I'm fully new to Umbraco. I am excited to find out if this content management system is something I can grow into and was curious if any veterans can give me their professional opinion.

I have 4 years of mastering the UI for SharePoint 2013. I love to use functions and methods in JavaScript and the jQuery library for web development. I love to integrate Bootstrap and LESS/CSS into the front end of web sites. I am experienced at using WordPress from the UI and also customizing child theme directories.

Are there any Umbraco members who have had a similar background and are now doing great with this CMS? If so, what sources on the web should I start learn from...

My end goals is to...

• Implement and manage a strong UI admin interface for content editing
    • Integrate JS/CSS into custom projects
    • Easily skin and choose master templates as well as custom page layouts attached to a master template (? not sure if you guys call it that)
    • Create and manage friendly URL's
    • Create publishing pages (i.e. pages I can check in and review as an administrator, and then publish to the world when ready).

Where should I start my training?

Thanks!

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2017 @ 07:24
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Kensley,

Welcome to our and Umbraco.

For training there are the official trainings held throughout various locations in the world. You can find out more here : https://umbraco.com/training/

Besides the official training there is also Umbraco TV. You can get a subscription on http://umbraco.tv/ for €19 a month and cancel it any time. There are also some free videos available. But for getting started it is worth every penny.

Also this article will be very useful to you : http://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2014/how-to-set-up-an-umbraco-site/. The author that has written this also comes from a front end background.

For your end goals :

• The admin UI of Umbraco is very userfriendly and has many extension points so you can customize it too your needs.
    • Integrate CSS/JS. Umbraco doesn't put any restrictions on your markup so you are free to use whatever you want
    • Like I said Umbraco doesn't put any restrictions on your layouts. For a good read on creating a templatable skin read this article ( a little bit advanced because needs some C# coding) : http://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2016/unique-sites-using-theming/
    • Managing friendly urls is supported out of the box. But the pipeline can be customized so you can overrule this
    • Review before publishing is also supported. You can have different editor roles. And it supports scheduled publishing and previewing

If you have any more questions. Just ask. Use the power of the community.

Dave

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 14, 2017 @ 11:03
    Ravi Motha

The only things to add to add to that extensive list are:

1 get on twitter and follow any people using the word umbraco , you will find a mine of information and lots of friendly people out there.

1. there is also a slack channel umbracians.slack.com

and depending on where you are you can meet real people and ask them for help at meetups (London Cardiff, Bristol, Glasgow, Sweden (Gothenburg), Denmark, New York and a couple in Australia, just to give you a flavour and show there are many options)

• Domenic 42 posts 128 karma points
    Feb 14, 2017 @ 19:40
    Domenic

Hi kensley and welcome!

As others have mentioned Umbraco.TV is a great place to start. Short videos packed with great advice. I still watch them as a refresher for some things. :)

Also check out the tutorials in the Documents section of this site. e.g create a basic site. Worth the short read! Welcome, have a cigar, you're going to go real far!

Regards,
    Dom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft