Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BEWD 90 posts 302 karma points
    Feb 15, 2017 @ 22:47
    BEWD

Upgrading from 4.11.10 to 7.5.9 (ish) - is it possible?

Hi Everyone

I have a bit of an odd question.

I have 3 websites almost exactly the same with regards to names of templates, doc types and physical wireframe as they are partner organisations (Just the skin is different), but 2 were built 5 years (at the same time / same code) ago and are on Umbraco 4.11.10 and the other built just last year (code re-write) and is on Umbraco 7.4.3 so the way that have been written are very different.

In an ideal world I would like to take a copy of the 7.4.3 razor code, templates etc and point it at the 4.11.10 database to give the users a more modern experience and improve speed etc. However, I am under no illusion that it would be that easy.

Is anyone able to advise me of the steps that could be taken to almost merge the code of a new Umbraco build with the contents of an old one? Alternatively could I rewrite the front end of the site from scratch and then migrate the database contents from the old DB stucture to the new one?

Any advice is welcome before I try to undertake the impossible :)

Thanks

Ben

• Alysa 15 posts 125 karma points
    Feb 16, 2017 @ 12:33
    Alysa

Hi,

I think your 4.11.10 version website must have "XSLT" code and 7.5.9 version is with "MVC". so accordingly you should create a website in newer version and start re-write the code with newer syntax.

Hope this helps,

Thanx.

Feb 16, 2017 @ 18:27
    BEWD

Hi Alysa Thanks for your response

Re-reading my post I was not very clear so I apologise for that.

The Razor code re-write has already been done for the 3rd partner (2 of the 3 are XSL and the 3rd is Razor), however the most recent razor implementation created all their content from scratch, I can lift this code quite easily and put in a new Umbraco instance but can I just point that at a SQL Database that is holding data that currently serves the old Umbraco 4.11 websites.

Basically, I want to take a copy of the Razor website and use the data from the 4.11 database.

Does that make any sense? Does the database structure change at all between these versions?

Ben

Mar 09, 2017 @ 22:43
    BEWD

Is anyone able to offer any advice on this?

In short, I have an old xslt Umbraco website (version 4.11.10) that I want to upgrade to Razor but it has 700 pages of content that ideally I don't what to have to re-create manually.

The coding from XSLT to Razor has been done, but can I move the page content from the old Database to the new one easily?

Any advice on process or even if it is possible would be great?

Ben

• Brian Powell 44 posts 199 karma points c-trib
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 23:18
    Brian Powell

I have a site that started back on 4.x and been upgraded over time to the current 7.5.10 release. In my case, I kept it fairly up-to-date as the new versions came out.

Before you start, obviously take a backup. My suggestion would be to upgrade in phases and test for broken items as you go along. I'd probably go on a path like 4.11.10 -> 6.2.6 -> 7.5.11 rather than trying to jump all the way in one shot.

Once you have everyone up to the same version, you can work on sharing your templates and support items back and forth. I have 3 installs of my own that have essentially the same template, with all the customizations stored in one separate file.

Mar 09, 2017 @ 23:55
    BEWD

Ahh, so you think the upgrade would work if done gradually and as I go I should swap out the XSLT for razor and align the templates and I should be ok to keep the actual content and media items?

I would take a copy first and put the copy through the upgrade(s) first internally so it would not affect the live sites, so the risk would be minimal. However, they are very heavily used by the local public so I want to make sure that I am doing it in the correct way, with the minimal amount of work and therefore minimal cost.

• Brian Powell 44 posts 199 karma points c-trib
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 23:57
    Brian Powell

Yes, I think it should be doable if you do it gradually.

7.5 supports XLST templates. I'd keep your current templates in place until you have all of the upgrades done, then convert them all to Razor.

• Henrik Bro 18 posts 38 karma points
    Mar 10, 2017 @ 08:34
    Henrik Bro

Hi Ben

I have upgraded one of our old sites from 4.11.x. (december 2016). The site is still WebForms and XSLT.

It was not fun, but it was possible. And it runs a lot better now :)

Version 6 was a showstopper. Some of the 6-versions will not upgrade the DB.

Also had to convert some datatypes.

Best regards, Henrik

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Mar 10, 2017 @ 09:34
    Simon Dingley

Yes it is possible, I have done a few now from v4 > v7 and as previously advised do't jump straight from 4.11.10 > v7.5.x.

A few pointers:

• make sure you read the release notes not just for the version you are upgrading to but the minor versions in between or you could waste time trying to work out why the site won't start when in one of the releases it documented that you are required you to remove certain dll's from your bin directory (as an example)
      • Use Nuget and use your version control system to commit changes for each step of the upgrade which allows you to diff all file changes for future reference.
      • Port as much of the XSLT files over to MVC partials or views (where applicable to do so) to save yourself the trouble further down the road, but only do this once you are upgraded to v7.5.x or you will waste time.

The biggest hurdle for me in each case was mostly to do with third party packages which are no longer supported in v7 such as DAMP or uComponents. That said, you are not alone and there is nearly always someone that has been there before you and so I made good use of a project called Phoenix Convertors which has been incredibly helpful in migrating data from old datatypes over to replacements which have been chosen or developed for the v7 upgrade of each site.

I am currently working on a project that has required me to make some additions to my own fork of Phoenix Convertors but I can't remember off hand what they were but can push them up for you to see when I get into the office.

Shout if you get stuck! There should probably be a dedicated forum for upgrades on here to save people a lot of headaches as there is not an awful lot of documentation around on it :)

Mar 10, 2017 @ 13:18
    BEWD

Thanks for the advice guys. I will give it a go and get back to you if I have any problems.

Much appreciated.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft