Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Feb 24, 2017 @ 05:35
    Terry Clancy

Url Rewriting in Umbraco 7.5.10

Dear Umbraco folk,

I just upgraded to Umbraco 7.5.10 and note that UrlRewriting.config now says the following:

<!-- 
    URLRewriting.net is obsolete and will be removed from Umbraco in the future.
    If you want to do rewrites, make sure to use IIS URL rewrite: https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite
    The advantage of using IIS rewrite is that it is much faster, much less CPU intensive and much less memory intensive.
    -->

Reading moe about IIS URL rewrite at https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite indicated that it is an IIS Add-in and details how to set up redirects using a tool accessed from the IIS Admin UI.

Cannot do that because my site runs on a hosted (GoDaddy) platform and I do not have access to install the add-in or use the admin UI. Furthermore what do I then use when testing my site in Visual Studio before deploying to IIS ?

In any case I wish for my redirect rules to exist in a config field for easy deployment and maintenance. For example my redirect rules are currently defined by the following lines in UrlRewriting.config :

<add name="DefaultCategoryProductRewrite" virtualUrl="(.*)/c-([0-9]+)/c-([0-9]+)/p-([0-9]+)" rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" destinationUrl="~/products/product/?catalog=$2&amp;category=$3&amp;product=$4" ignoreCase="true" xmlns="" />

<add name="DefaultProductRewrite" virtualUrl="(.*)/c-([0-9]+)/p-([0-9]+)" rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" destinationUrl="~/products/product/?catalog=$2&amp;product=$3" ignoreCase="true" xmlns="" />

<add name="DefaultCategoryRewrite" virtualUrl="(.*)/c-([0-9]+)/c-([0-9]+)" rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" destinationUrl="~/products/catalog/?catalog=$2&amp;category=$3" ignoreCase="true" xmlns="" />

<add name="DefaultCatalogRewrite" virtualUrl="(.*)/c-([0-9]+)" rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" destinationUrl="~/products/catalog/?catalog=$2" ignoreCase="true" xmlns="" />

Please let me know if the issues I have raised have solutions and if so I would really appreciate an explanation or a link to further reading on how to use this new approach in a way that is driven by config files and works with Visual Studio Debug.

Thanks very much :-)

Terry Clancy ClanceZ

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft