Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten 105 posts 345 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 08:26
    Morten

Hello!

I have a navigation bar, which has some links in it. I am using cultures (Danish and English), and I would like to generate my navigation links as much as possible.

A problem I have is: I don't want to loop over each page, as I don't want some of the pages to appear there.

I want to set an class="active" on the currently active page (or sub page). So if I have a news page, it should make it active. If I read a news article, it should also be active. The URL is /news/ and also /news/news-article-1 so the article is indeed in the correct spot.

How would I achieve something like this?

Requirements:

• No foreach loop (unless I can tell it specifically which ones I don't want)
    • Set an class="active" on the active page
    • Be able to insert my own menu item (like a link to an external page)

Thanks!

• Justyna 14 posts 146 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 10:40
    Justyna

Hi Morten,

If you add a property to your document types called umbracoNaviHide of type True/False and then check the box on the pages you don't want to display in navigation you can then do a foreach

@foreach (var item in CurrentPage.Site().Children.Where("Visible"))
        {
            <li class="menu__item @(item.IsAncestorOrSelf(CurrentPage) ? "active" : null)">
                <a href="@item.Url" class="menu__link"><span class="menu__helper">@item.Name</span></a>
            </li>
        }`

Where("Visible") will then only select the items that have umbracoNaviHide set to false.

This bit @(item.IsAncestorOrSelf(CurrentPage) ? "active" : null) is what I normally do to add the active class.

• Morten 105 posts 345 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 11:39
    Morten

Hi!

Thanks, that could work indeed! Now I just have another question, which I hope you can help me with, because I think my page structure is messed up. In order to make your solution work, this problem needs to be solved:

When I do this, I have three links shown: News - People - Services

However, I really want to have: References - Services - News - Contact

I currently have a Master content item, which has three subitems, which has my items in it. It goes something like this:

I like this layout because I can create news under news, people under people, and services under services. Basically like models. However, I do not want my References page to have any sub items, because References does not have a model (it's just a static page).

Now here are my Document Types and Templates:

I think this is where I got it wrong, because when I go to create a new item, I select ListNews, ListPeople, or ListServices. These basically have the properties I need in order to create an item.

Do you see where I'm going at? Here's my issue: When I go to /news/ it works fine. Model.Content.Url is /news/. If I go to /references/ it shows me an empty page, but the Model.Content.Url is /.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? I think I got this wrong from the beginning (watching old tutorials perhaps).

Thanks a bunch!!

• Justyna 14 posts 146 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 13:48
    Justyna

Where on the content tree is the References page? Can you also provide a wider snippet of code that is not working the way you hoped?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft