Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Maciej Rakowski 11 posts 91 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 15:19
    Maciej Rakowski

Is the Umbraco suited for what I want

Hi

We're trying to develop an application and we've chosen Umbraco (the first time our company has done anything with Umbraco) as go to solution. But we're having some problems achieving what we want. Every next step we take in developing is very painful. This raised a question - are we using Umbraco wrong way or for what we are trying to do should we just be going for a straight MVC website implementation.

Here's what we plan and/or have:

We got two types of members - member type A with a big and complicated profile (we try to gather the information via Umbraco Forms) and member type B - their purpose is mostly to be able to search for type A members We managed to create custom register/login pages

With Umbraco Forms we gather the information we need about member type A - and as of now we create content page based on that (more for testing purposes) We planned to have one Profile Page (not one per member) with information being pulled from Umbraco Forms data

Search for members A (based on different criteria, including location)

Comments and ratings A => B, B=>A, A=>A

Problems we have

1. Can we create "dynamic content page" controlled by user? I know I can have a content and my data mixed into one model and then use it in template to build a page but is it possible to have some markup in content section and use something like {Model.Name} to put in dynamic data, ex. http://imgur.com/a/85hND so users can decide on text/layout. If yes - how, and if no - is there a "workaround" or have we somehow missed the general principle of Umbraco CMS
    2. We would like a back office user to be able to review/reject/amend profile information provided by Member type A
    3. In Umbraco Forms some of our text fields are for long, multi-line answers. How can we keep the ‘new line’ characters provided at user input time so the newly create content node actually has new lines too.
    4. We're planning to have few more "dynamic" pages with data from multiple sources where we would like the user to be able to change basic content/layout and merge with data from previously inputted forms and/or other DB stored data.

Now the real question is: Are we missing something in the meaning of using Umbraco (as I said, we never used any CMS before to this level) or we're trying to do something that doesn't really suit Umbraco and we should go back to building standard MVC websites.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft