Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Mar 19, 2017 @ 19:50
    alimac

Assigning nodes to members, what's the best approach?

I'm in the process of building a site that assigns nodes to members within the backoffice.

My initial thought was to create a document type for each member and then manually move the nodes under the parent member, but this seems a bit clunky for admins. My members never have to log in though, they're purely for display purposes, so I don't even know if I need to use Umbraco membership.

My next thought was to then create a control that lists all members in a dropdown, and then the assigned member can be selected from this list.

This works, but the problem is when the member list grows, I can't have a dropdown with potentially hundreds of members.

I was then thinking if it would be possible to find or create a control that is a member search? ie. a textbox with predictive text for member names, to quickly track down the member I want to assign to.

I don't know if anything like this exists already? Plus, I'm not sure if this approach is too complex.

Can anyone help me figure out what the most sensible option is here?

Thanks

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Mar 23, 2017 @ 01:17
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Alimac

Can you clarify what the purpose of having the Members is ?

If they don't have to login then I don't understand why you need a member record created - in my mind a Document Type called "Site Member" would be all that is needed ?

If the above is way off the mark, then please provide a bit more detail about your setup and I'll try again... :-)

Cheers

Nigel

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Mar 23, 2017 @ 10:40
    alimac

Hi Nigel,

It seems all I needed was a little time to ponder over the problem. I think in the end my approach will work best if I do use the built in member functionality. I thought of a situation where members may indeed need to sign in, so it's all good.

Thanks for your help though!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft