Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 22:35
    Bobi

Sql Server CE Convert to Sql Server Express Website Publishing Strategy?

Hi,

I am looking to convert sql server ce to sql server 2012 (or 2016), but I am unsure what the best strategy is for deployment.

I have a godaddy plesk server that runs sql server express 2012. My umbraco project is set up with sql server ce, but I am looking to convert it to sql server express (for performance and future growth).

My local machine is running sql server 2012 (sp1) express. I am unsure what to do with respect to the conversion from ce to express.

1. Do I upgrade my local machine to sql server 2016 express, and then convert the ce to 2016 express? I am worried that this will cause issues when I publish my website to godaddy?

2. Do I just convert sql server ce to sql server 2012, and then publish it; and forget about upgrading to 2016 express so as to avoid compatibility issues with my godaddy plesk server (which runs 2012 express)?

3. Do I have to connect to my sql server 2012 on godaddy, then convert the ce to it? I would prefer to avoid this so I can develop and test locally, and then publish the local database to the server database.

Essentially, I am looking for the best practice with respect to pre-deployment and deployment.

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 07:21
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Bobi.

Spontanously, option 2 seems like the best way to go. I'm not familiar with godaddy, but if they are running Express 2012 then I think it's best to avoid the hassle with compatibility issues du to 2016 on your local machine and 2012 on their server.

One of our servers uses SQL Server 2014 and I only had 2012 installed on my local machine, and sometimes it could be a real pain in the *"#ยค to restore a database from the server to my local, due to different versions of SQL Server. Eventually, I just installed 2014 paralell to 2012, so now I have 2 versions of SQL Server on my local machine, since we have other servers that runs 2012. So the lesson i learned: Use the same version of SQL Server both locally and live if possible, to avoid the hassle.

I've converted many, many Umbraco CE databases to SQL Server and every time I use this tutorial: http://www.geektantra.com/2012/10/umbraco-deployment-exporting-ms-sql-ce-database-to-ms-sql-server-express/. It's great and you can't go wrong!

Best of luck to you! Hope this information could be useful.

Have a great day!

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 15:25
    Bobi

Thanks Dennis. I decided to go with option 2. It makes most sense, especially since I want to avoid the pain to restore a database :)

I converted the ce to sql express by using web matrix, which I believe does relatively the same thing as what the link describes.

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 23, 2017 @ 08:17
    Dennis Adolfi

Glad to help! Thank you for sharing the approach you chose!

Have a great day!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft