Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Geoff 19 posts 89 karma points
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 09:27
    Geoff

Umbraco running extremely slowly in IIS

Hi,

I'm running Umbraco version 7.5.3 in IIS on an Azure VM. Server spec is windows 2012 with 2 cores and 7GB RAM (DS2_V2). This is being used purely for its back office functions - the WFE is hosted on an Azure web app. Both web app and IIS installations point to the same SQL database using the same connection strings and both share the same code.

There seems to be something wrong with my IIS installation as it is running very slowly - it takes a number of minutes to load the login page to the back office or any of the published pages and during this time the VM CPU for the worker process bounces around 100%. This is with no other requests going to the site. Pages served from the web app WFE load fine as do do the back office pages form the web app, so the code and content seem not to be at fault. This leads me to suspect that I need to do some performance tuning of the IIS instance, but I'm at a loss to know where to start. I get no errors thrown in the event log.

The only change I have made from the vanilla installation apart from the connection strings in the web.config is to set the umbracoApplicationUrl in the umbracosettings.config to point to the instance of the app running on the VM.

Any suggestions of how to make the site performant would be very welcome.

Thanks, Geoff.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 11:26
    Dan Diplo

Is it slow for every request, or just the first request? As you know, ASP.NET sites (and Umbraco particularly) can have a fairly long start-up period on first run. If you're site isn't being accessed often (which I'm guessing it won't be, if it's only used for back office) then it may be "going to sleep" and restarting on first request. Can you check the Umbraco logs to see if the application is restarting a lot?

You can configure Azure to keep the site "Always On" in the control panel, which may help - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-configure

Mar 30, 2017 @ 11:58
    Geoff

Hi,

Yes it is slow for every request. The 'Always on' applies to the web apps - the back office is running out of windows server. The web app seems to be unaffected.

Intrestingly, I am getting continuous shutdown messages on the server though:

shutDownStack= at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo) at System.Environment.getStackTrace() at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal() at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand() at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.StopProcessing() at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus) at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus) at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags) at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags) 2017-03-30 12:37:47,244 [P6424/D516/T22] INFO Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Application shutdown. Details: ConfigurationChange

_shutDownMessage=IIS configuration change HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown HostingEnvironment caused shutdown

This is happening every 2 minutes.

Mar 30, 2017 @ 12:01
    Geoff

Also seeing a lot of these errors:

System.Exception: Cannot index queue items, the index is currently locked,, IndexSet: InternalIndexSet 2017-03-30 12:08:28,889 [P6424/D481/T65] ERROR UmbracoExamine.DataServices.UmbracoLogService - Provider=InternalIndexer, NodeId=-1

Mar 30, 2017 @ 12:11
    Dan Diplo

It may be worth stopping IIS and deleting all your indexes - maybe something has got corrupted or the lock file can't be removed? I'm presuming IIS has full read/write/amend writes to App_Data/TEMP/ (you can run the health checks in the dev dashboard).

There have been a few issues with Umbraco constantly restarting (especially on Win Server 2012) - there are a few issues related to this you can check. It's also worth upgrading to latest 7.5.11 version if you haven't already.

Issues to Check

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-9257

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-9586

I hope some of those might point you in the right direction?

Mar 30, 2017 @ 12:42
    Geoff

Thanks, issue U4-6338 described our case exactly, so I'm going to install the patch described in http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338 Are all the examine indexes stored in App_Data/TEMP/ ?

Mar 30, 2017 @ 12:46
    Dan Diplo

By default indexes are stored in /App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/[nameofindex]

However, this is governed by the values in /config/ExamineIndex.config - each IndexSet has an IndexPath property which contains the path. So in theory this can be changed.

Apr 03, 2017 @ 06:50
    Geoff

Thanks, for the info about the indexes.

In terms of the application restarts, we did install the MS patch and this fixed the problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft