Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Duong 15 posts 85 karma points
    Apr 06, 2017 @ 16:56
    Kevin Duong

Should I use machinename token in load balanced environment?

I'm upgrading from 7.5.6 to 7.5.12 and noticed that there were a few changes made to Examine.

One being the removal of the machinename token

<IndexSet SetName="InternalMemberIndexSet" IndexPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/{machinename}/InternalMember/">

Is now

<IndexSet SetName="InternalMemberIndexSet" IndexPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/InternalMember/">

This is on an Azure load balanced web site. Should I use the machinename token?

Another change would be using IDirectoryFactory instead of useTempStorage. Should I use IDirectoryFactory? Or just leave it out. This would be the one I use right:

directoryFactory="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine"

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Apr 10, 2017 @ 20:53
    Jamie Pollock

Hey Kevin,
    Afraid I don't use Umbraco on Azure but looking through the docs on Azure Web Apps it recommends removing the machinename token and also this is now the defacto way of shipping the config since Umbraco 7.5.7.

As for the second point, it seems IDirectoryFactory is now the new way of handling Examine storage is a more flexible way. Looking at the Examine repo it seems SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory is the way to handle things.

Happy upgrading! Remember you can always use the Releases Compare Tool to see what changes have occurred between version.

Thanks,
    Jamie

• Kevin Duong 15 posts 85 karma points
    Apr 10, 2017 @ 21:21
    Kevin Duong

Hi Jamie, thanks for the information.

The issue is that we're load balanced so we also have auto-scaling

So referring to this

https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/load-balancing/flexible

It says to use the machinename token, but this article also seems outdated.

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Apr 10, 2017 @ 21:38
    Jamie Pollock

Yep, I'm fairly sure that article is outdated now. The steps outlined above seem to be the updated way to achieve the same goals.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft