Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Apr 08, 2017 @ 21:00
    alimac

Converting IPublishedContent to Dtos and performance

Hi guys,

I actually wrote the question and posted it on StackOverflow here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43300290/converting-ipublishedcontent-to-dtos-and-performance

The issue I'm having is that converting IPublishedContent to a Dto is causing a massive slowdown in code execution and I'm wondering why? Is there a more sensible approach I could use here?

Thanks

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 09, 2017 @ 05:26
    Nicholas Westby

Unless you have hundreds/thousands of properties on your "Job" object, I wouldn't expect that much of a slowdown.

One idea would be that you may have a custom property value converter that is taking a very long time for some reason (e.g., maybe it's hitting the database). I have seen some inefficiencies when working with prevalues (e.g., for properties that are drop downs), as it seems Umbraco sometimes hits the database working working with those. If you have a very slow database connection, that could explain it.

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Apr 09, 2017 @ 06:51
    alimac

Ah Nicholas, you hit the nail on the head!

I noticed I had a helper method further down that was indeed hitting the DB to query some member data.. which is of course pulled from the DB.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just updated my member query and it's dropped from ~7 seconds to < 1 sec - hooray!

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 09, 2017 @ 05:32
    Nicholas Westby

If you want to try some more tests, I'd recommend leaving some properties off of your Job object. Maybe try just mapping a single property, or a subset of properties, and see what the speed differences are.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft