Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• cole young 20 posts 41 karma points
    Apr 13, 2017 @ 21:37
    cole young

Umbraco backend throwing 404

I am experiencing 404 errors in the umbraco back end. the browser says http://myurl/umbraco/settings/Views/EditView.aspx?treeType=templates&templateID=1115 404 (Not Found).

This is happening when i try to look at a template.

I looked through the forum and i couldn't find a relevant thread.

sorry. Umbraco version 7.5.8, iis8.5, .NET 4.5

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 13, 2017 @ 21:44
    Nicholas Westby

Could be a permission issue. Or maybe the template you are looking at got deleted from the file system. What happens when you try to view other templates? Does the site display fine on the frontend? Is your site using an atypical setup (e.g., inside a virtual folder rather than at the root of the domain)?

Apr 13, 2017 @ 21:58
    cole young

I have checked the permissions. The app pool has full permissions to the umbraco folder.

The template file is there. It is not the template that is being reported as missing but the EditView.aspx file.

It happens for all templates.

The site does display correctly. The backend displays correctly too, but certain things through this 404 error. Viewing templates, trying to clear the site cache (content->right click->republish entire site throw a 404.

The site is vanilla typical (at the root of the domain).

I should have mentioned that the backend displays a blank page if compilation debug="false" is set i have to change it to true to get the backend to display at all.

Apr 13, 2017 @ 22:26
    Nicholas Westby

I should have mentioned that the backend displays a blank page if compilation debug="false" is set i have to change it to true to get the backend to display at all.

That sounds familiar. I wonder if there is a package.manifest in one of the folders in your App_Plugins folder that is making use of a file with a query string (which I think causes an error sometimes due to some client dependency quirk). Try removing the query string if you find one.

Also, check if the EditView.aspx file is missing for some reason.

Apr 17, 2017 @ 18:23
    cole young

Nicholas,

Thanks for the replies.

There is only one package.manifest file and it does not have any query strings.

EditView.aspx is there. I can download it and open it for edit.

I have tried comparing the web.config to the dev web.config and there was a section missing in prod. <system.webserver> was missing the <handlers> section. i copied and pasted it from the dev environment but no luck.

I have tried it with ssl and with no ssl. no difference.

I am now going to go over iis settings with a fine toothed comb.

Apr 17, 2017 @ 21:48
    Nicholas Westby

Perhaps also try deleting the App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency folder and recycle the application pool.

Apr 18, 2017 @ 22:49
    cole young

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work either.

I have compared the iis settings with another server that is running an umbraco build and i can't see any discrepancies.

I have tried giving IUSR, NETWORK SERVICE, IIS_USRS, and the app pool name full access to the Umbraco folder to see if it was a permissions problem. No change.

To restate what i am seeing: the site loads and runs. I can't make changes to the templates or rebuild the site cache (republish site). The console of the browser is return a 404 on files in the umbraco folder. i have verified that the files exist.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft