Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 243 posts 479 karma points
    May 04, 2017 @ 16:06
    Meni

SOS! My website is down since yesterday - I upgraded to 7.6.0

I upgraded yesterday from 7.5.4 to 7.6.0. My website hosts on Azure.

After copy bin, umbraco and umbraco_client I tried to login in order to finish installation - but locked out. It said the password wrong.

• I tried to click the forgot password - didn't work
    • I tried to use the Umbraco admin reset - didn't work
    • I tried to change the useLegacyEncoding in the web.config to true - didn't work
    • I tried ti downgrade back to 7.5.4 - still lock out.

What can I do?? My website is down for more than a day

How can I bring my website back??

Help!

• Tom 20 posts 61 karma points
    May 04, 2017 @ 16:35
    Tom

I had the same issue (on all my Umbraco-sites).

First I've restored a backup. 1. Log in (to the old install) 2. Upgrade (copy bin/config/Umbraco/Umbraco_Client) 3. Go to the site and click 'upgrade' 4. After upgrade you're already logged in, directly reset your password

May 04, 2017 @ 16:40
    Meni

How can I restore a backup - not familiar with this feature on Umbraco

Also, where on the site I click upgrade? Usually once copy the bin/config/Umbraco/Umbraco_Client it's automatically takes to the login page

It's really annoying. I really like Umbraco, but after this bad experience ... And it's happened almost always when they have a new version ...

• Tom 20 posts 61 karma points
    May 04, 2017 @ 16:43
    Tom

You should always make a backup (by yourself, copy all the files and database) before doing an upgrade! It's not a feature within Umbraco.

May 04, 2017 @ 18:13
    Meni

So, what else can I do now to bring my website back? Any suggestion? So frustrating ...

I have to make my website live again, and right now I still finish the upgrade yet...

What else can I do to reset the password? I guess there have to be a way to do it ...

Thanks

May 04, 2017 @ 22:25
    Meni

So I tried to follow the instructions of how to do it through the DB, but still without success. So frustrating! Anybody maybe from the Umbraco team who can help please?

Maybe I need to switch to wordpress ... ?

So annoying!!!

Attached screen shots

Thanks enter image description here

enter image description here

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 04, 2017 @ 22:31
    Nicholas Westby

If you want somebody to help you solve this ASAP, feel free to reach out to the agency I work for: http://rhythmagency.com/contact-us

Or you can reach out directly to me: http://www.nicholaswestby.com/contact/

In the meantime, I'd recommend starting by looking at the Umbraco log, particularly right after you attempt to login.

You might also consider putting a temporary website up until you get your full website working.

May 05, 2017 @ 05:58
    Meni

Finally after lot of hours and reading all the answers here in the forum I solved the issue.

Here are the steps:

1. I had to download the SQL Server Management Studio: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms

And here's a quick tutorial of how to use it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-connect-query-ssms

2. I followed this tutorial of how to change the admin password to 'default' password: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/49134-Forget-My-Password-For-Umbraco-Admin-Site

Then after finding the user table, I clicked on New Query and pasted this code:

UPDATE umbracoUser set userNoConsole=0, userdisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='bnWxWyFdCueCcKrqniYK9iAS+7E=' where id=0;

3. After running the script , I followed this link which says to change the useLegacyEncoding setting in the web.config to true (instead of false)

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/85475-authorizeupgrade-cant-login#comment-270615

Then finally, it's started the installation process.

But the problems didn't end here ... Apparently, now I could access the backoffice, but the website had lot of error - somehow according to v7.6 my code has a lot of errors ... , so you asked what I did? downgraded again to 7.5.x

I had to download 7.5.13 and install it

To summary my experience since yesterday? Very bad.... In wordpress it wouldn't happened ... So many problems, so many issues. From the installation to the compatibility with the code. Very frustrating.

Maybe it's time to reconsider Umbraco, and maybe I should start look for tutorials of how to migrate from Umbraco to wordpress (thing is, my website has thousands posts, so it's kind of complicated...).

But , I would expect from the Umbraco team:

1. When you launch such a huge update, to run all the QA before.

2. To have a very detail tutorial which covers all the issues that might arise from the new update. And of course how to solve it. And how to change the code, etc. etc.

3. Of course to take care of all the compatibility issues with code.

I lost many hours of work because of that bad experience, and my website was down for almost two days.

Hopefully the Umbraco team will do something about this.

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 05, 2017 @ 07:23
    Nik

Hi Meni,

I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough time with the update. The Umbraco team do a wonderful job of creating a pretty decent product. Personally, I wouldn't ever consider WordPress over Umbraco but that is just me.

That aside, with regards to your comments relating to what you expect from the team:

1) They do a lot of QA before releasing a version, not everything can be found in a system that is highly customisable and there are (particularly in this version) breaking changes. These are all detailed in the release notes for the version.

2) It is impossible to have a "detailed tutorial" that covers "all issues". Every site is different, every site can use a variety of non-HQ manage plugins. If these break because of an update, this isn't the fault of the HQ. The other side of things is that, best practice for an upgrade (even in WordPress) is to back up your entire site (DB included) before upgrading. Even when updating Windows, they recommend backing up all your important documents etc incase it goes wrong. Nothing is 100% guaranteed.

3) I believe (although I'm not 100% on this) that if you follow the various upgrade guides it takes you through all the steps of upgrading to cater for a compatibility issues. In the latest few releases, the HQ has been removing legacy code as part of a big clean up of the source. This should make Umbraco faster and smaller.

If I was you, I wouldn't jump to switch to WordPress unless you really want to. Everyone has a bad experience with something from time to time, it's a case of how you learn from it that is most important.

If things are being reported as your code being wrong, it's worth investigating why?

One thing to note, as far as I'm aware Umbraco doesn't support downgrading fully. It is a risky move that can work but often doesn't and leaves strange behaviour. As Nicholas mentioned, if you are having major issue, it could be worth getting in touch with an agency or a freelancer who can help with restoring your site for you :-)

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    May 05, 2017 @ 18:21
    John Bergman

I'd also like to mention a couple of things here. First, it is never wise to upgrade a production system until you have done at least one test upgrade somewhere else to see if you have issues; this would have prevented your downtime.

Second, the 7.6 release notes indicates that there are breaking changes, this means that any of your code and the code from any package you install could have issues - which would mean that you would also need to upgrade those packages potentially.

Having just went through an upgrade of our own code base, anytime you do a major version upgrade, you can typically expect things to break as the implementation evolves.

May 07, 2017 @ 06:34
    Meni

Hi Nik and John,

1. I still think they should have write it very bold and clear that it can affect the code of existing websites. And I'm not using packages, only standard Razor / C#.

I got so many errors that I had to downgrade back to 7.5.13 and now it's works again, so either 7.5.x "cool" with errors in the code, or there something wrong with the new version.

You can see my website code here: https://github.com/Menachem35/Opli-Umbraco-Magazine-Template

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    May 07, 2017 @ 22:57
    Nathan Woulfe

It's implicit in the version naming (semver) that moving from 7.5 to 7.6 will likely introduce breaking errors. The release log also lists all the breaking changes in the release, in this case quite a few, being a minor version increment.

Like others have said, backup first, test on non-prod, fix issues, then upgrade your live site.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft