Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Smith 18 posts 118 karma points
    May 13, 2017 @ 01:52
    Robert Smith

Wow. I'm sorry to be negative, but what a colossal waste of time. I just tried to upgrade from 7.5.3 to 7.6.0. That didn't go well. Once I finally got the backoffice login screen to work, I noticed it wasn't the right one (ie. the new one). Then, it would not let me back in, no matter what I did.

So, by chance I came across the 7.6.1 upgrade today. Thank goodness, I thought. Umbraco MUST have identified and corrected the login issues, I thought. So , I installed the upgrade and POW! The new splash screen worked! I was so excited. Until I couldn't get back into the backoffice again. A few more hours spent trying to do some of the password hacks I read about (and used before with success) and I have finally given up and reverted to 7.5.3. It works, and I'm staying with it until I have some assurance that 7.6.1 (or whatever is greater) actually works and doesn't lock me out upon upgrading.

-p.s.-Umbraco---you desperately need to get some better upgrading instructions. Much of what I did to get (some) things to work was as a result of trial and error.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2017 @ 06:10
    Nicholas Westby

Perhaps it was related to this change: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6566

Maybe try setting useLegacyEncoding to true for the UsersMembershipProvider configuration in the web.config.

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    May 13, 2017 @ 10:19
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

Nudging the web.config, and clearing your browser cache, seems to work for me, with login problems.

Also, checking the db table, to doubly ensure you're not locked out, 'login console' Boolean field set correctly

May 15, 2017 @ 22:33
    Robert Smith

Hello,

Thanks to you both for your replies. I have tried you suggestions, but to no avail unfortunately.

I will just remain reverted for now. Hopefully this will resolve at some point in the future.

May 16, 2017 @ 02:16
    Robert Smith

Finally, it worked.

The solution is, as above by Nicholas. You must change legacyencoding (in the Web.config file) from 'false' to 'true' IF your earlier config file had it set to true (which mine did).

The Umbraco upgrade site finally had some additional instructions for 7.6.1 to this end and they confirmed Nicholas' suggestion. The key is to ensure that you make this change before you first try installing the upgrade. If you try and make the change after you run the upgrade, then presumably it has already made a mess of your passwords by not using the legacy encoding.

Simply revert to your backup, make the changes to the config file, and try again.

One other thing I did was to change my password to a 10 digit one (my 7.5.6 install was only 8 digits) as the new config also requires a 10 digit password. You should make this change BEFORE you backup your files and try upgrading.

Hope this helps. Thanks again to the guys above for responding with offers of help.

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    May 16, 2017 @ 04:41
    John Bergman

Robert, just to be sure I understand what you are saying here... while running 7.5.6, you changed the legacyencoding to true while running 7.5.6 and then upgraded to 7.6.1?

May 17, 2017 @ 20:43
    Robert Smith

Hi John,

Not exactly. The following steps should work:

1. change password in 7.5.6 to a 10 digit password (it may work without this step, but the config file requires a 10 digit password for 7.6.1 so I thought I would just do that change.
    2. backup current files (critical)
    3. download and unzip 7.6.1
    4. from 7.6.1, copy /bin, /config, /umbraco, /umbraco_client, and the three root files including web.config.
    5. paste these folders and files overtop of your current installation
    6. use WinMerge (easiest way by far) to check for the differences between the various files. For me, the relevant differences were in the web.config file.

In the 7.6.1 web.config file (ie. the one you just pasted), before running the install the only changes I made were to: 1. change the legacyencoding to true (IF you ALREADY had it set to true in your 7.5.6 web.config file); 2. change the empty umbracoConfigurationStatus value to 7.5.6 (I assume so that the 7.6.1 installer knows you want to upgrade);

Please see the 7.6.1 upgrade specific notes for one more change you should make to another config file.

Then, fire up the site and it should take you to the installer.

I hope this helps.

Robert

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft