Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Håkansson 66 posts 192 karma points
    May 15, 2017 @ 13:09
    Sean Håkansson

Hello, I humbly want to ask HQ how it's going with the version 8 project?

Is Q2 still a realistic target, when can we expect a public beta?

We have a few client projects where we want to use V8s new variants/segments for multi languages, but we're not sure if we can guarantee a Q2 release or even beta. Unfortunately we don't have the time/resources to help out with the development.

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    May 15, 2017 @ 14:23
    Jonathan Richards

Hi Sean,

Like you, I am very keen on getting my hands on the multi-lingual stuff promised in Umbraco V8, though the prospect of a Q2 (which only has 45 days left) or for that matter even a Q3 release is looking quite remote.

Niels tweeted a few weeks ago that he wanted to preview Umbraco 7.7 at the upcoming CG17 at the start of June, this suggests that 7.7 won't be released beforehand. Given that, getting 7.7 out the door before the end of June will be struggle and knowing that v8.0 has a oodles of extra features, including variants, I would reschedule your plans.

On my end, I've had to polish off Vorto one more time because waiting for v8.0 isn't an option any more.

Cheers

ps. Want my guess, v8 will be Q1 of 2018

• Sean Håkansson 66 posts 192 karma points
    May 15, 2017 @ 14:57
    Sean Håkansson

Ouch. I was hoping for at least a public beta in in Q3. Do you see a easy upgrade path from vorto -> variants?

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    May 16, 2017 @ 11:17
    Jonathan Richards

Hi Sean,

I share your pain.

Lets play a game of presumptions.

1. You designed a V7 website that always embedded a single nested content item within a vorto control. This means that each vorto control contains 1 IPublishedContent object (As exposed by the NestedContent control). So the vorto itself could be modelled as a Dictionary<LanguageKey, IPublishedContent> object. And you write Razor accordingly.
    2. That V8 implements variants as some sort of list of IPublishedContent with some sort of key to signify language variant. eg. What about a Dictionary<VariantKey, IPublishedContent> object.

Then bingo, you could have an obvious upgrade path. But then again, who knows how variants will be implemented. and do you really want to create a pile of NestedContent controls, that when you upgrade to V8 will need lots of dedicate code written by you to import/export/upgrade them.

Cheers

Jonathan

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    May 16, 2017 @ 12:27
    Niels Hartvig

We'll be updating the roadmap very soon. Our main focus this side of the summer is on the continous improvements of v7.x.

v8 will likely be end of '17 with beta drops starting to appear at the end of Q3.

• Odd Veibust 5 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 20, 2018 @ 06:47
    Odd Veibust

Are there any news about a release date for V8 other than TBD?

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Feb 20, 2018 @ 06:56
    Niels Hartvig

Only news is that we’re working on it but as there’s not even an alpha anytime soon, we don’t spend energy on talking more about it because that would be wasting people’s time :-)

V7.x is our recommendation for a foreseeable future.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft