Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    May 17, 2017 @ 18:28
    Bobi

Redirects (Changing page titles) and SEO question

Hi all,

What are some steps that you take when changing the name of a content page (web page) to avoid google from seeing duplicate pages and negatively impacting your page rankings, as well as your overall website ranking?

I.e. 1) Is it necessary to set up server side 301 redirects or is it sufficient to rely on umbraco's redirect function which is automatically implemented when you would make a name change to a page? 2) then re-crawl your site? 3) etc.

Thanks all :)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2017 @ 22:18
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Bobi

Umbraco provides really cool redirect feature when you rename the node.

I think it's enough for Google, it will not crawl again and again after indexing redirects. When crawler found 301 redirect - he removes old URL from the index, so you don't have to do something special.

The only thing that can be a problem - are you using static XML sitemap, be sure that there are no old pages? If it's dynamic - not a problem.

Thanks,

Alex

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Jun 08, 2017 @ 17:40
    Bobi

Thanks Alex, I somehow missed this response.

Is that the best practice though for SEO? Say, if I were to change a page name (domain is the same): example.com/alx to example.com/alex-skr - the content is the same; I am simply changing the url by changing the page title, is the 301 redirect the best way to go for SEO purposes?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft