Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jacob Bach Pedersen 19 posts 73 karma points
    May 17, 2017 @ 19:10
    Jacob Bach Pedersen

Hey

Trying to figure out how to do the following in Umbraco:

I have a product-page based on grid layout. In this guid i would like to have a featurelist.

All features in the list, should have a subpage with an URL like /product-page/feature/feature-name-1

How should i modulate that behavior?

My first thought was to create a document-type called feature, that can be used as a child for the productpage. But what if i later want's another type of list on the productpage with subpages.

• Rhys Mitchell 28 posts 195 karma points
    May 18, 2017 @ 12:19
    Rhys Mitchell

Hi Jacob,

I think your first thought is probably the most logical approach to this problem. I think it's important to ask how different in structure will these future lists be? Assuming that the lists will somewhat look the same, I would create a tree that looked like this:

• Product Page (where the doctype allows Features children)
      • Features (where the doctype allows Feature item children)
        • Feature item (with fairly abstract properties for lots of list types)

The reason for this is because as the page name is changed in the Umbraco Backoffice, it also changes it in the url - so for example you would see:

• /toaster/features/super-warm-technology

This would then change with the context of your application. However, if the structure (i.e. the appearance) of your lists are likey to be different every time I would adopt basically the same tree structure:

• Product Page (where the doctype allows Features children)
      • Toaster Features (where the doctype allows Toaster Feature itemitem children)
        • Toaster Feature item (with toaster specific properties & appearance)

If I found I needed a specific list, I would then create new doctypes that are based on Features and Feature Items are allowed beneath Product Page to make them more specific and customisable.

Basically, just have a play around with the structure and the nodes that are allowed to be beneath them to strike an efficient balance to your workflow. If the lists are fairly concise with the information they hold I too would recommend looking into using Nested Content to give the content editor a better, easier experience.

I hope this helps!

• Jacob Bach Pedersen 19 posts 73 karma points
    May 18, 2017 @ 12:27
    Jacob Bach Pedersen

Thanks for your answer.

I was think of the structor as you describe, but i think that feature-doctype should not have a template, so its not possible to access /toaster/features

But how do i then include the rendering of the featurelist in the gridlayout on the the productpage?

• Rhys Mitchell 28 posts 195 karma points
    May 18, 2017 @ 12:32
    Rhys Mitchell

I would create Grid Editor with a content picker to choose these items, like this. There's no native way that I can think of to make this happen.

Alternatively, you could use LeBlender to add the content picker control to the grid.. I think that would work.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft