Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    May 23, 2017 @ 15:18
    anthony hall

using Udi in Umbraco 7.6.1

I've just upgraded an existing site to 7.6.1 from 7.5.11

I've just added a multi node tree picker but it's using the new UID. As i need to support the old pickers i've set EnablePropertyValueConverters set to false.

Is there a config setting where i can disable the new pickers and use the old picker that use an Id.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 23, 2017 @ 21:52
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Anthony

Try to set the config option in umbracoSettings.config (inside of the content section)

As written in the documentation:

New sites will have the obsolete pickers filtered out from the list of available property editors, but they can be enabled by a configuration flag.

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/760-breaking-changes#property-editors-storing-udi-instead-of-id-u4-9310

Thanks,

Alex

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    May 24, 2017 @ 14:36
    anthony hall

Hi Alex,

I don't see a flag to turn back from uid to id. If i turn on PropertyValueConverter my older code will break.

Obviously i can convert from uid to id but this make the code a little confusing for future developers.

May 24, 2017 @ 14:42
    Alex Skrypnyk

Totally agree with that convertion from uid to id makes code a little confusing for future developers and I think that you need to use OR ids OR uids and no convertions.

May 24, 2017 @ 14:41
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Anthony

Sorry, didn't provide you a key?

The config option in umbracoSettings.config try to set to true

Then you will be able to use old pickers with usual ids in latest Umbraco.

Thanks,

Alex

• Zac 239 posts 541 karma points
    Oct 18, 2017 @ 15:04
    Zac

FYI - the config setting that allows this is

<showDeprecatedPropertyEditors>true</showDeprecatedPropertyEditors>
    in the <content> area

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 16:05
    Robert J. Bullock

For how long with the deprecated pickers be supported? Will content editors get a degraded experience vs. the new pickers?

This is really frustrating to me, the thought of having to update (somehow) thousands of content items and dozens of templates and macros to use the new UID's... I don't understand this choice at all.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 16:22
    Nik

Hi Robert,

There have been no indications that I'm aware of, as to how long the depreciated pickers will be available for. I suspect in version 8 they may be removed.

I do not believe there is a degraded performance between the two versions of the pickers, the primary difference is what they store in order to identify what has been picked.

As I understand it, the reason this change was introduced was predominately related to cross-environment deployments. Previously it was very hard for a deploment mechansim to track ID's between environments and as such associations would often get lost. By introducing the UDI, which is effectively GUID based, they've created an ID for a document that can stay statistically unique. This makes content deployment much easier. Umbraco Cloud, I believe was the driving force for this and when you look at this sort of set up it makes a lot of sense.

There was a script running around, I wish I could find it, that you could run to update content items from the legacy pickers to the new ones including picking up and replacing the ID's that content items had picked. If you can find this script your life becomes alot easier. I believe most of the template code should then just work, although you might find the odd situation where you need to adjust the rendering.

If I come across the script again, I'll post it here for you :-)

Nik

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 17:14
    Robert J. Bullock

Ok, I see. Makes sense then... Yeah, that code would be very valuable. In fact, it would be very nice of HQ to offer some sort of migration tool to ease the pain. Already have my hands full with migrating Archetype to Nested Content. ;-)

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 17:16
    Nik

Archetype to Nested Content would be migration tool that I would love to have.... :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft