Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Claridge 9 posts 109 karma points
    May 25, 2017 @ 13:21
    Paul Claridge

How to uplevel an existing site

Hi Team - I am a new user tasked with managing a 7.4.3 website which is fairly complex. I now realise that one of the things we want (time ordering of a list view) is currently broken. I therefore want to migrate the website to the latest 7.6.1 All the migration tips and hints seem to be suggesting that you manage the DB and then "zip up" the whole content and ftp it. I dont see how this achieves what I want because it will presumably overwrite the new umbraco magic with the backlevel versions? So how do I capture the stuff we have created that is independent of the code base - presumably a common question? I am already very nervous of this upgrade bearing in mind the list of bugs and caveats so I want to throughly test 7.6.1 on a webmatrix installation (away from production). But I cannot see where to start! Any help gratefully received please. regards, Paul

• Poornima Nayar 106 posts 276 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 25, 2017 @ 15:17
    Poornima Nayar

Hi Paul,

Do you mean you want to upgrade Umbraco from 7.4.x to 7.6.1? If so I highly recommend you use nuget package to upgrade. I also recommend you thoroughly read through the links in the "Upgrading" section of https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/761/

What I usually do is to use the nuget package update to locally. I then compare all the files that have changed (/config folder) and make sure that my additions are in place. This is the files upgraded for you. Then I build and run the site which gives me the screen to authorise the upgrade of the database.

The code can then be deployed to your test/dev environments and hitting the site straight after your deployment should ask you for authorisation for db upgrade. Since there is a manual intervention (authorising upgrade) I recommend the production environment be upgraded as a scheduled deployment as it causes an outage on the site.

Poornima

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft