This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ali Z 31 posts 173 karma points
    May 31, 2017 @ 11:31
    Ali Z

Nothing happens after first execution

Hello guys,

The scenario i followed:

I created a new solution with visual studio

I created a new project with the template "Web Application" with the version 4.5 of .Net

I installed the last version of Umbraco (7.6.2) via Nuget

When i execute the application (F5) i have a new tab on my browser but nothing happens.

I see nothing wrong in the "App_Data\Logs" file

Any of you has an idea ?

Thank you,

Ali

• Brett Fullam 119 posts 629 karma points
    May 31, 2017 @ 13:27
    Brett Fullam

Hi Ali,

What version of Visual Studio are you using? It would also be helpful to know which browser you are using.

Were you able to complete the installation of Umbraco ... the automated process that walks you through the database creation and offers an option to install a starter theme? Were you able to get that far?

When you first perform a new install of Umbraco (without using a starter theme) there is no content to render in the browser. You should be able to amend the address in your browser to access the Back Office.

For example, this is a sample url in the browser window that opens ... just add "/umbraco" to it and hit enter to access the login panel to the back office.

http://localhost:59726 --> http://localhost:59726/umbraco

Let me know if you can access the back office, and we'll go from there.

May 31, 2017 @ 14:05
    Ali Z

Hello Brett,

What version of Visual Studio are you using : Visual Studio 2015

Browser : Google Chrome

Were you able to get that far? : no, a new tab opens in the browser then nothing....

Thank you, Ali

May 31, 2017 @ 14:42
    Brett Fullam

Your install of Visual Studio 2015 was successful ... no errors on install? (I had loads of problems here when I got started ... eventually had to download an ISO to install locally to get a clean-fully functional install)

I'm using Visual Studio Community 2015, and Google Chrome is my browser of choice at the moment ... everything is working on both Windows 7 and another install with the same verisons on Windows 10. The ISO was critial for me to overcome intial errors with the platform.

Here's my process to successfully install and start an Umbraco project-site:

File > New Project

Select Visual C# (in the left column) ... Select ASP.NET Web Application (.NET Framework) in the right column

In the next install dialoge that opens ... Select "Empty" for the ASP.NET 4.5.2 Template, and DO NOT check any of the other options-boxs in this dialogue ... click "ok".

Right click on your solution in the "solution explorer" panel and select "manage nuget packages for this solution" ... locate and install Umbraco CMS v7.6.2 ... NOT "UmbracoCms.Core" or any other Umbraco install options. You shouldn't need them for a successful-clean install.

After the install is complete ... NOW press F5 (or go to Debug > Start without debugging) ...

THEN a browser window should open with some Umbraco messaging while the install process is being completed ... the rest of the install process will happen here in the browser.

My problem in the beginning was making sure I was getting a CLEAN install of Visual Studio Community 2015 and the only way i could do that was via an ISO (which is available on Microsoft's site).

Give this step-by-step process a try and let me know ... if the problem persists, my guess is that your install of Visual Studio 2015 is the issue.

May 31, 2017 @ 14:58
    Ali Z

I followed exactly your scenario.

I clicked on F5 to run the website in debug mode => still the same issue

I created a new website in IIS, linked it to the project i just created, and now i see the "Install Umbraco 7" page :o

I don't understand why it doesn't work with Visual Studio but at least now i'm unblocked.

Thank you anyway !

Ali

May 31, 2017 @ 15:23
    Brett Fullam

No worries ... I'm sure your input here will be helpful to someone else who encounters the same problem ... now that it's documented. Don't forget to mark your last post as the solution.

Glad you're up and running!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft