Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Jun 07, 2017 @ 19:47
    blackhawk

Understanding how to auto sync content with uSync

I installed Umbraco 7.6.3 and installed uSync as a package. I am learning that there is a second package created to help focus on content and media called uSync.ContentEdition. I installed that successfully. But how do we "sync" to a second site? I'm having trouble understanding that bit.

I initially copied my uSync folder, along with my CSS, JS and Media folder, all over to my second site (which also has uSync installed), and see that my content was carried over. But moving forward...how do I sync my changes every time so that I don't have to copy and past changes manually every time I make modifications? or is this not how uSync works?

Thanks for any feedback

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jun 08, 2017 @ 06:37
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

uSync handles the reading & writing of the settings to and from disk , but how you get those settings between umbraco installs is up to you.

uSync was initally built to work with source control, so checking the uSync folder in as part of your solution to git means the settings will go with the site when another developer / server uses the source control repo.

but it also works well with deployment tools, so including the uSync folder as part of deployment process (i.e with tools like octopus deploy or WebDeploy) means that when the site is deployed the usync files are also deployed and settings applied.

uSync's default setup is to automatically apply changes from disk to umbraco at startup. the theory being that when you apply changes to your site (like new templates, etc) that usync will run and bring in the umbraco settings you need.

There isn't a push content/settings from here to another site option in uSync because it wasn't build around development and deployment scenarios... Courier works a bit more like that in that you push content about between umbraco versions from within umbraco.

Oct 11, 2017 @ 22:17
    blackhawk

Nice! My team is currently planning on using WebDeploy as a process in migrating Umbraco packages from one location to another, so this works perfectly! Thank you so much!

Oct 24, 2017 @ 14:01
    blackhawk

Kevin when you said....

...but it also works well with deployment tools, so including the uSync folder as part of deployment process (i.e with tools like octopus deploy or WebDeploy) means that when the site is deployed the usync files are also deployed and settings applied.

1. If I am doing this process from Site A (development) to Site B (staging), and using WebDeploy, do I still have to log into Site B to officially import changes for Site B? Is there a way to officially import changes without logging into Site B and using the UI there to do so?

2. If I use either Web Deploy or Octopus, to deploy from dev to staging, do I also "have to" backup my SQL Server database and deploy it from dev to staging as well?

Thanks

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Oct 24, 2017 @ 14:34
    Kevin Jump

Hi

1. Under the default setup uSync will run the imports on Site B when the site starts up - so you don't have to login and go to the dashboard as things will happen as the app starts up after deployment.

2. If your WebDeploy or Octopus deployment includes the uSync folder*, then you don't have to deploy your SQL database as all the changes will be applied by uSync.

Config Info Is Here: http://usync.readthedocs.io/

*if you installed uSync via Nuget then it will add the relevant target settings to the project to include the uSync folder in any deployment (so you don't need to have the usync folder included explicitly in the visual studio project) -- octopus is a little more complex

Oct 24, 2017 @ 17:22
    blackhawk

Kevin you rock! Thank you so much for the clarity.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft