Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Hill 14 posts 114 karma points
    Jun 08, 2017 @ 14:31
    Chris Hill

Blend Umbraco with ASP.Net MVC Site

We have built an extensive custom MVC ecommerce site with all the usual aspects you'd expect - categories, products, basket checkout etc.

Within the site we want to create a whole range of informational content and ideally are looking at using a Umbraco to do this so non tech users can author the content. On the site though this content needs to be accessible from within our current design / navigation so the site looks consistent throughout.

I have some experience of Umbraco as a stand alone CMS / site.

I've had a bit of a google around but can't really find anything about integrating so closely (although I am probably not looking for the right thing) - where do we start? Anyone else done the same sort of thing or know of any decent tutorials?

Would I look at installing Umbraco as per stand alone, but calling it into the other site by way of adding an Application to the site under IIS? (I have done this previously with a Wordpress site in a similar scenario)

Or is there a better way that would allow me to make use of the custom site code within Umbraco as well? (thinking basket summary in header of page etc)

Thanks

• Micha Somers 134 posts 597 karma points
    Jun 08, 2017 @ 16:12
    Micha Somers

Hi Chris,

Maybe as an example to get inspiration for integrating your custom MVC e-commerce site, you can look at Merchello.

Also, at this moment, Umbraco integration is being implemented for NopCommerce. From the discussions and the demo's you may get some ideas of the process to get there, the possibilities, the less easy things to implement, etc. :

http://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/41254/lets-discuss-the-upcoming-integration-of-nopcommerce-and-umbraco.aspx

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jun 08, 2017 @ 16:31
    Nicholas Westby

You should be able to merge your code with an Umbraco install, and they should work fine side by side. No need for nesting or reverse proxying.

Jun 09, 2017 @ 09:22
    Chris Hill

Looking at it I'm not sure how I would keep all my routing etc separate from Umbracos?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jun 10, 2017 @ 09:07
    Nicholas Westby

Why would you need to worry about separating them? They can live together. Umbraco can route as it routes, and you can create custom MVC routes too.

• Micha Somers 134 posts 597 karma points
    Jun 09, 2017 @ 11:29
    Micha Somers

If you have them side by side, one of the steps is to make sure that umbraco ignores that path to your custom MVC application by adding it to umbracoReservedPaths app setting the web.config.

Jun 09, 2017 @ 22:52
    Chris Hill

Have been reading about headless cms. Is this something that might make life easier? Can pull content into my own design.

• Lotte Pitcher 49 posts 242 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jun 11, 2017 @ 18:08
    Lotte Pitcher

Hi Chris,

We have several sites which started as pure MVC sites, and the CMS requirements were added in a later phase using Umbraco. We chose to refactor the existing MVC functionality into an MVC Area (or Areas) and then install Umbraco. It makes the separation and routing much easier.

I wrote an article explaning our approach in detail here: https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2016/adding-umbraco-to-existing-site/

The article is an overview of the approach we have taken, with a link to a more detailed tutorial. I am embarrassed that I still haven't found the time to get the full source code online, but the '24 days' code snippets are easy to copy, if indeed they are useful!

Good luck.

Lotte

Jun 12, 2017 @ 09:39
    Chris Hill

Lotte

Thank you for that - sounds like exactly the approach we are looking for!

Chris

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Jun 12, 2017 @ 14:07
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

You should go on one of the Umbraco Training Courses. It steps you through this exact setup, of blending an existing MVC Music Store into Umbraco.

Course - "Umbraco Application Integration"

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft