Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brett Fullam 119 posts 629 karma points
    Jun 13, 2017 @ 18:58
    Brett Fullam

Migrating SQL Compact to SQL Server is not as difficult as you might think.

I'm adding this to the forum to document that a method for converting SQL Compact to SQL Server exists. I lost HOURS tracking this information down, and would be happy to share this with anyone who's looking for it.

I have been saved SEVERAL times by implementing version control via Github. However, while the following workflow may not be "optimal", it certainly will work:

Since the beginning of my project I have been using SQL Compact server and allowing the database (Umbraco.sdf) to live inside of the App_Data folder along with the rest of the project that's being backed up to my Github repository.

I knew at some point I would need to (have to, really) migrate over to SQL server prior to releasing the live version of the site, but doing so would make it difficult to pass the project back-and-forth between two physical locations I work in without the use of a database residing on a live server. (something not everyone has access to) So, I removed Umbraco.sdf from my gitnore file and have been adding-committing it right along with the rest of my project in my github repository.

Getting SQL Compact to SQL Server using Visual Studio 2015 Express and Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Studio has been much easier than I had expected. Having done it several times now, publishing packages successfully, it's actually not that difficult to do. The documentation on the other hand was difficult to find and-or follow (for newcomers).

I'll post it here when I reach the end of my project ... just isn't enough time to do it right (with visuals) until then.

However, if any Umbraco users are looking for a "how-to" list of instructions to migrate your SQL Compact database to SQL Server and need it a little sooner ... I'd be happy to share it with you. Just reply to this post, and I'll get back to you ASAP.

• Nawaz 21 posts 74 karma points
    Dec 20, 2017 @ 10:49
    Nawaz

Hi Brett I would be interested to know the steps, may need to do that same myself. Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft