Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brett Fullam 119 posts 629 karma points
    Jun 21, 2017 @ 18:35
    Brett Fullam

HELP ...! Anyone else experiencing this ...? Back Office layout breaks because of a "DependencyHandler" error ?

I have no idea why this is happening. It just appeared ... I recently added 1 controller, model and a view for a form and that's pretty basic.

The back office CMS layout looks "broken" like the CSS is missing and parts of the content tree are completely unresponsive ... it's really strange. Check out the red arrows overlayed on a screenshot of the back office:

enter image description here

Here's the error in the browser console:

[Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.

This apparently referencing a "DependencyHandler" ... here's a screen shot of the console which shows the error at the bottom and the specific line of code highlighted in yellow:

I'm running Visual Studio Community 2015 in a Windows 7 environment and using Google Chrome. Tried using Firefox and I'm experiencing the same exact issue-error.

I'm completely stumped as to what would have caused this, and the reference link in the error really doesn't offer much (at my level of experience) in regards to what exactly is going on other than "The XMLHttpRequest object is an API for fetching resources."

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:00
    Nik

Hi Brett,

Although not helpful, I've seen this warning before with SignalR and Browserlink. The one thing to note is that it is just a warning, things should still behave as expected so I suspect you have an actual error somewhere, as opposed to this warning, that is being the main cause of your issue.

Nik

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:07
    Brett Fullam

Hi Nik,

Thanks for the input ... yeah ... I'm seeing things tied to jquery.min.js and browserlink ... but the back office is still breaking. It's really strange and incredibly frustrating.

I literally added a controller, model and view for a form ... and ... this is what happened shortly thereafter. It's really strange and I'm not even sure if it's tied to those items I just created. Everything I'm finding points back to the Umbraco install itself and not any of the files I'm working with.

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:12
    Nik

Have you tried bumping the client dependency version in the config file?

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:15
    Brett Fullam

This error is completely over my head ... BUT ... I do have a solid version control workflow implemented ... I can break the entire site and bring it back in less than 10 minutes.

SO ... how and where can I find this config file and the client dependency version you're referring to? Let's do this!

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:25
    Brett Fullam

UPDATE ... more details on the error in question ... check out this screenshot of the console:

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:32
    Nik

Under the Config folder, there is a file called ClientDependency.config. In the file you should see a line that reads

<clientDependency version="1"........... />

If you increase the version number it should cause ClientDependency to cycle.

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:43
    Brett Fullam

Yeah ... didn't change anything ... the error still appeared and broke the back office layout and functionality again.

That number in my config was 71880266 ... is it normal to be this high?

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:45
    Nik

Yeah, it is normally pretty high.

Jun 21, 2017 @ 19:57
    Nik

Just out of curiosity, what version of Umbraco are you using? And have you checked that the Umbraco and Umbraco Client folders exist on disk?

Jun 21, 2017 @ 20:01
    Brett Fullam

I'm running v7.6.1 ... just tried an upgrade to v7.6.3 to see if that would resolve it ... no luck ... still the same problem.

Jun 22, 2017 @ 15:02
    Brett Fullam

OK ... so, there just wasn't enough for me to go on to fix the error. Thanks to Nik for helping try to resolve it. Fortunately, I have a decent version control implemented and I could roll it back a bit without losing a ton of work.

I had to take it all the way back to the point BEFORE I added a controller, model and view to implement a basic contact form. At this point the error was completely gone ... and ... wouldn't you know it ... it came back as soon as I added a controller, model and view for another simple contact form.

SO ... I'm going to stop this post here, and open a thread specific to this error using the following title ... "I'm going to close this thread ... I've found more specific information related to what is causing this error and have listed-opened it under this new thread "JQuery functions NOT available in Angular (both are located in the Umbraco library?".

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft