Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Spence 7 posts 118 karma points
    Jun 29, 2017 @ 16:53
    Jason Spence

Visual Studio Umbraco Media Directory

Just curious, when developing a website using Umbraco, is it best practice to have the "media" directory "Include In Project" within Visual Studio?

My website has multiple environments and each has it's own database. When people upload images in "production", our lower environments are missing those images and are now out-of-sync. If I re-upload those images in lower environments, the images get a new ID and now things are getting messy and duplicated.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 29, 2017 @ 17:44
    Nik

Hey Jason,

The best suggestion is to go for a shared media location. Somewhere like S3 on AWS or the equivalent on Azure. If all your sites are within your own network you could just use a network share.

To get your project to use a shared folder in visual studio, you need to override an application host setting (I'll dig out how I did it later as I can't remember off the top of my head)

As for the Cloud storage, there are packages for Umbraco for S3 and Azure that should help :-)

• Jayv 2 posts 74 karma points
    Jun 29, 2017 @ 17:58
    Jayv

Hi Jason,

Basically the media folder should not be included in the project nor in git. It should be excluded.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft