Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Echo Train 16 posts 106 karma points
    Jul 22, 2017 @ 01:57
    Echo Train

Umbraco 7 Back End Login Fails

Suddenly, I am unable to log in to the back end of my Umbraco site. I am the only one with access to it. I have not changed my user name (email address) or password. The site is on a host provider, and the database is an .sdf file. The message I receive is simply, "Login failed for user [email address]." I have tried from two separate machines to eliminate a strange keyboard problem.

The site itself seems OK. How to proceed?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 22, 2017 @ 02:51
    Nicholas Westby

Perhaps a bot or malicious user attempted to login too many times and caused a lockout (Umbraco locks you out if you fail to enter a correct password too many times in a row).

If that's the case, you'll have to modify the database to unlock your user account. Though, I don't remember the exact table (maybe umbracoUser) or column (I think it was something non-obvious).

Maybe take a look at the Umbraco log text files to see if there are any clues. You can also use Chrome developer tools to troubleshoot the login HTTP request/response.

Jul 22, 2017 @ 20:07
    Echo Train

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Too many login attempts is unlikely, because the site is password protected at the root, so credentials must be entered before the back end login screen is even presented. However, I copied down the .sdf file, and opened it up. Columns which seem they might be relevant have values as follows:

userDisabled = false

userNoConsole = true (don't know what that might mean)

failedLoginAttempts = 0

lastLockoutDate = null

I have looked over the log files, but nothing struck me as relevant. Admittedly, most of what is in the log files means nothing to me.

Using Chrome dev tools to examine the request seems to show a 400 error, but I'm not clear on where to go with that.

• Jannik Anker 48 posts 258 karma points c-trib
    Jul 22, 2017 @ 23:57
    Jannik Anker

It's userNoConsole - set it to false and then touch the web.config or /config/ClientDependency.config. That should do the trick?

Jul 23, 2017 @ 01:27
    Echo Train

Jannik, I tried that suggestion, but it still failed. I can now add that the specific request of the error is at:

http://[my_site]/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Authentication/PostLogin

UPDATE: I must have somehow botched the transfer of my .sdf file after changing the userNoConsole value to false (0) because I looked at it again and the value was unchanged. So, I repeated the process and it worked. I can now login into the back end.

How it got changed in the first place is a mystery, but I think it's one of those things I'll never know.

Short story: Jannik was correct. Thanks for the help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft