Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Giovanni Sidoel 94 posts 233 karma points
    Jul 24, 2017 @ 18:20
    Giovanni Sidoel

Best practices for setting up magazine site

Hi fellow Umbracians.

I will need to set up a magazine site in the very near future. This could potentially grow very large over time (assuming ~2 posts per day).

Do any of you have any tips on how to go about handling this? I am mostly concerned about content structure. Do you go for example for:

• home/category/title
    • home/category/year/month/day/title
    • or do you have any suggestions for a better structure?

Any tips for scalability? I have made a news site before with lots and lots of content nodes but in V4 and that definitely had a lot of performance issues. I know most, if not all, of those issues will have been resolved in the very latest releases of Umbraco, but I was just curious if any of you ran in to performance issues. And if so, how you went about tackling them.

Thanks for your input.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 24, 2017 @ 19:06
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Giovanni

I would recommend you do not use "category" as part of URL, because what if you would like to have few categories for one post?

I would like to use some checkbox list for categories for example.

This structure is nice:

home/year/month/day/title

Thanks,

Alex

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 24, 2017 @ 19:08
    Alex Skrypnyk

About performance, if you will not touch problems described in this article - https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/Common-Pitfalls/, it will work really fast.

• Giovanni Sidoel 94 posts 233 karma points
    Jul 25, 2017 @ 12:35
    Giovanni Sidoel

Thanks Alex. This article is really helpful.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 24, 2017 @ 20:13
    Nicholas Westby

Why structure the pages under subfolders at all? I could see doing this in the past due to it taking some time to expand content nodes with lots of children, but now that list view works well I don't see any reason that can't be used instead. That is, just put all the nodes under a single parent node (say, the homepage or some node that serves as a bucket).

As far as the speed of the frontend of the site, you can use some intelligent caching. I tend to rely on this:

Basically, you can convert the posts to instances of some class (say, MagazinePost), then store that in a list, which you can then store in an InstanceCache. You can then use an invalidator to force that cache to update whenever the content changes.

• Chris Dixon 12 posts 55 karma points
    Jul 28, 2017 @ 13:19
    Chris Dixon

Hi Giovanni, not directly related to your question but have you considered using PugPig?

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/pugpig-for-umbraco-v7/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft