Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Norbert Haberl 32 posts 115 karma points
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 08:28
    Norbert Haberl

User with Id 0 not shown in backend

Hey,

suddenly our admin account was locked (UserId = 0) and we were able to unlock it but why is it not shown in the backend as a user node ?

• Lewis Cowles 3 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 12:51
    Lewis Cowles

If you have access to SQL management console, you should rather immediately set it to a non-zero value.

Zero is an invalid ID (auto-increment should always start at 1). If you have backups, I'd suggest checking through side-by-side after restoring to a new database / schema.

I've not encountered any piece of SQL software assigning an ID of zero, and would most likely assume that either your account has been hacked or is running additional non-core code that has no test-suite.

It is possible that auto-increment is also not present on the ID (this would also be bad. You can remit via SQL management console, but a backup to a known-good-state is probably a better idea, in-case there are other surprises

• Norbert Haberl 32 posts 115 karma points
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 14:01
    Norbert Haberl

I guess you are no Umbraco user? The first User which is created is always 0 (zero) in Umbraco. Look into umbracoUser

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 15:48
    Alex Skrypnyk

+1, the first user id is 0

• Chris Clancy 63 posts 132 karma points
    Apr 17, 2018 @ 14:25
    Chris Clancy

I noticed that on Umb v 7.7.7 I am an Admin user and can see all other users, but other Admin users cannot see me in the back office. We appear to have the same permissions. Is there anything special about user ID 0?!

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 17, 2018 @ 14:35
    Owain Williams

User 0 is the master account. It's good practice to set this account up then setup yourself as a admin user and never use user 0, unless it's to reset your password, if that makes sense.

Apr 17, 2018 @ 14:37
    Chris Clancy

OK thanks for the reply Owain. I did think that as the site installer and first user, (ID=0) might have some kind of super powers. Makes sense to leave it as a strictly admin account and then create another account.

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 17, 2018 @ 14:44
    Owain Williams

Umbraco.TV:

This first default user is known as User 0 and it is the most important user that we have. It is crucial that you never delete or disable User 0 because there are dependencies associated with this user.

So it doesn't have any super powers as such but you don't really want to use it as a normal 'admin' user because if you mess up this user, it has an impact :)

Apr 17, 2018 @ 14:48
    Chris Clancy

Ah I see. It makes sense now that nobody can disable user 0 from the backoffice. Cheers.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft