Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christo 10 posts 80 karma points notactivated
    Aug 07, 2017 @ 09:16
    Christo

Urgent problem cmsPropertyData Over a billion records.

Good day all

I have inherited a Umbraco site and I am still new with the Umbraco.

I have a problem with one of the tables in Umbraco or especially the cmsPropertyData table as it consists of 1 118 860 825 Records so. The problem is I cannot delete the Log file in SQL grows way too big and fails as soon as there is no more space available on the hard drive, I have tried a couple of solutions but I wonder if someone does have a solution to my problem.

Kind Regards

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 07, 2017 @ 09:18
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Christo

What version of Umbraco are you using?

The problem is that Umbraco stores previous versions of content items, so with time database grows.

Thanks,

Alex

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 07, 2017 @ 09:20
    Alex Skrypnyk

Try to use this sql script for clearing database, and don't forget about backup -

-- Umbraco Clear Old Document Versions To Decrease Database Size And Improve Performance
    -- http://borism.net/2008/12/16/fixing-a-large-cmspropertydata-table-in-umbraco/
    DECLARE @createdDate Datetime = DATEADD(m, -1, getdate())

-- dump logs
    -- TRUNCATE TABLE umbracolog -- faster if log table is very big and you don't need anything
    DELETE FROM umbracolog WHERE Datestamp < @createdDate

-- clean up old versions
    DELETE FROM cmsPropertyData WHERE
        versionId NOT IN (SELECT versionId FROM cmsDocument WHERE updateDate > @createdDate OR published = 1 OR newest = 1) AND
        contentNodeId IN (SELECT DISTINCT nodeID FROM cmsDocument)
    DELETE FROM cmsPreviewXml WHERE
        versionId NOT IN (SELECT versionId FROM cmsDocument WHERE updateDate > @createdDate OR published = 1 OR newest = 1) AND
        nodeId IN (SELECT DISTINCT nodeID FROM cmsDocument)
    DELETE FROM cmsContentVersion WHERE
        ContentId  IN (SELECT DISTINCT nodeID FROM cmsDocument)
    DELETE FROM cmsDocument WHERE
        nodeId IN (SELECT DISTINCT nodeID FROM cmsDocument)

--http://blog.dampee.be/post/2015/11/28/Remove-Old-versions-of-Umbraco-Previews.aspx
    delete
    --select *
    from cmsPreviewXml
    where versionId in (
        select cmsPreviewXml.versionId
        from cmsPreviewXml join cmsDocument on cmsPreviewXml.versionId=cmsDocument.versionId
    where cmsDocument.newest <> 1)

• Christo 10 posts 80 karma points notactivated
    Aug 07, 2017 @ 09:27
    Christo

Good day Alex

I have tried this script and the problem is I cannot delete a billion records as the hard drive run out of space before even a 100000 has been deleted(Log file issue, growing log file), I would use this script as soon as the first clean up has been done. I am using Umbraco 6.2.2.

Thanks for the reply

• Nick Ryan 9 posts 79 karma points
    Aug 07, 2017 @ 15:25
    Nick Ryan

Without much thought on the matter (on my front), have you tried changing the MS-SQL recovery model?

Details from Microsoft are here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190203(v=sql.105).aspx

You'll need the BULKLOGGED mode for this operation. Switch to it, purge the transaction log to empty and then start deleting data.

With a backup of course.

Thinking of a backup, if you don't have space on the live system an alternative would be to perform a full DB backup, transfer the backup files to a less constrained system, restore the DB, perform the maintenance, backup the smaller database and then, here's the slightly scary bit - delete the database entirely (check all files are gone as well) and restore the smaller database in its place.

• Collyn Philleo 2 posts 97 karma points
    Aug 07, 2017 @ 16:43
    Collyn Philleo

I've used this script in the past to remove extra content versions. It loops through and uses transactions, which prevents the log file getting too large. As with any script as a disclaimer, please backup the database first.

/* This script will delete extraneous content versions */
    delete from cmsPreviewXml where VersionId in (select versionId from cmsDocument where newest = 0)
    delete from cmsContentVersion where VersionId in (select versionId from cmsDocument where newest = 0)
    delete from cmsDocument where newest = 0

DECLARE @Deleted_Rows INT;
    SET @Deleted_Rows = 1;

WHILE (@Deleted_Rows > 0)
      BEGIN

BEGIN TRANSACTION

delete top(1000) from cmsPropertyData where VersionId in (select versionId from cmsDocument where newest = 0)

SET @Deleted_Rows = @@ROWCOUNT;

COMMIT TRANSACTION
       CHECKPOINT -- for simple recovery model
    END

• Colin Wiseman 47 posts 178 karma points
    Oct 09, 2022 @ 07:58
    Colin Wiseman

I know this is 5 years old but I used this script as part of getting rid of 60 million rows on a test database. But you have an error.

delete from cmsDocument where newest = 0

should be after the delete from cmsPropertyData as you have deleted all from the cmsDocument where newest is 0, thus when you come to

(select versionid from cmsDocument where newest = 0)

in the next statement there will be nothing to delete, cmsPropertyData will now have orphaned versions and everything won't be tidy :D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft