Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Long 13 posts 43 karma points
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 13:45
    Dave Long

Publish Behaviour Question

Hi All

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it's just a mis-understanding of how publishing behaviour works or is intended to work.

I recently had a case where a user had added some content to a page at the 3rd level. eg: Home > News > Sub Page

Sub Page had been "Saved", but the updates applied had not been published.

A few weeks later, we had an incident with the indexes, which caused the front end of the site to not show any content and the indexes needed rebuilding, so as part of the initial attempt to get the content to show again we right clicked the home page and selected "publish" from the context menu. The option to "Publish Home and all it's subpages" was selected. We did NOT select "include unpublished subpages".

What then happened was that the new content that had been saved only in the News > Sub Page was then published to the front end.

I guess my question is should this have happened - is it expected - or should the "Sub Page" have re-published the previous "Published" version of the page and NOT the newly added unpublished content?

Appreciate thoughts on this as I don't want to raise a issue in the Issue Tracker if this is by design.

thanks, Dave

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    Sep 04, 2017 @ 13:27
    Laurent Lequenne

You can use on the developer sectop, in the examine tab, the reindexing functionality. So that you do not need to republish all your items, and to override your published content with some items that should have a new version in an unpublished state.

Sep 04, 2017 @ 14:05
    Dave Long

Thanks Laurent - I am aware of that option, was just asking to find out if the behaviour described is expected or not in the case where sub pages are re-published.

• Chris Dixon 12 posts 55 karma points
    Sep 04, 2017 @ 16:56
    Chris Dixon

Hi Dave, In my experience, that's not expected behaviour, unpublished sub-pages should not be published. It's either a bug or human error. Can you reproduce the problem? Chris

Sep 05, 2017 @ 04:24
    Dave Long

Thanks Chris, I agree that unpublished sub pages should not be published, but in this case the page was previously published, it just had a new version of content that was not yet published.

• Micha Somers 134 posts 597 karma points
    Sep 04, 2017 @ 18:17
    Micha Somers

Actually, I think the answer to your question is: no

should the "Sub Page" have re-published the previous "Published" version of the page and NOT the newly added unpublished content?

It should indeed have published the latest version of your page and its published subpages including the new unpublished changes.

So if there was already an "old" published version of SubPage available, "Publish Media and all its subpages" should publish this SubPage including the latest changes (that's what publish does). If that was your case, you did not encounter a bug.

Only if SubPage has never been published before, that action should have left SubPage unpublished (in that case you would need to "Include unpublished subpages" to publish such unpublished subpages).

Nonetheless, these publishing choices can be very confusing so a little more explanation at that place in the editor would be welcome.

Sep 05, 2017 @ 04:22
    Dave Long

Thanks Micha, that was my sense also, appreciate the confirmation :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft