Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lewis Smith 208 posts 617 karma points c-trib
    Sep 15, 2017 @ 08:29
    Lewis Smith

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting a website live and I'm having issues publishing. My company standard is to publish anything done within Visual Studio (right click on project > publish) before the website can go live. As it stands, every publish i do breaks the plugins I have installed.

For example I have NestedContent installed as well as 301 redirect. From the off loading the homepage.

When loading into the back end I get the error:

Request error:  The URL returned a 404 (not found): 
    backoffice/Simple301/RedirectApi/GetAll

Loading the front end, everything breaks as i'm referencing plugins that haven't installed correctly.

If I install the plugins again once the website is on the server everything works again, but this is not practical as you could imagine.

When navigating to the installed plugins folder I can see the full list of plugins that are installed so I thought maybe a config file is missing or something.

Does anyone else publish their Umbraco projects before putting them live? Has anyone come across the same issue?

Thanks, Lewis

• Craig Mayers 164 posts 508 karma points
    Sep 15, 2017 @ 10:00
    Craig Mayers

Hi Lewis,

This will most likely be down to you not including all your files in the Visual Studio solution (specifically the plugins etc.).

When you do a Publish from within Visual Studio, it looks at your Project file (.sln) and looks for all INCLUDED items, anything that it finds, that has a valid BuildAction, will be outputted to the Output/Publish Directory and anything not included in the project will be ignored.

So, to remedy the issue just simply include all the missing files and do a republish again.

Let me know how it goes...

Thanks

Craig

Sep 15, 2017 @ 13:54
    Lewis Smith

Hi Craig,

The issue is I dont know the files that are missing causing this hiccup!

I will see what I can do.

Thanks, Lewis

Sep 15, 2017 @ 14:02
    Craig Mayers

Hi Lewis,

You will have to go through you log file. In there should be errors for FileNotFound - the paths displayed are where you should be looking.

For example, the error you mentioned above:

backoffice/Simple301/RedirectApi/GetAll

If in Visual Studio you "Show All Files" in the Solution Explorer, navigate to that path and make sure that folder is Included.

Re-publish and try again, hopefully, that specific error should be gone!

Let me know how it goes.

Craig

Sep 15, 2017 @ 15:30
    Lewis Smith

Hi Craig,

Went through all the files and a few files from the bin directory were being missed, after manually adding these everything worked as expected.

Thanks, Lewis

Sep 15, 2017 @ 15:39
    Craig Mayers

Hi Lewis,

Great news!

Just always remember in future, if something is missing from a publish, that it is most likely that it just hasn't been Included in the project.

Have a good weekend.

Craig

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 15, 2017 @ 15:38
    Nik

Hi Lewis,

If you aren't already, try and install as many plugins as you can with NuGet rather than the package manager as you are using Visual Studio, it will make your deployments easier.

If you have packages that you've installed via the package manager, you can easily miss a file here or there so keep doing what you are doing and checking. Don't forget to check for config files and app-plugin files/folders :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft