Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• waycooljen 7 posts 77 karma points
    Sep 26, 2017 @ 19:48
    waycooljen

upgrading umbraco 7.6.5 to 7.7.1

I've made several attempts to manually upgrade an Umbraco instance from 7.6.5 to 7.7.1. Each time, I'm no longer able to login after the upgrade.

When I roll it back to 7.6.5 - the login works again just fine.

I make backups of /bin, /config, /umbraco, /umbraco_client and the web.config.

I copy over the /bin, /umbraco, and /umbraco_client -- then merge the /config and web.config files.

Is there something in the new version I need to be careful about changing that breaks the login?

Unrelated - I had to create a new account to get on here. When I tried my old account it didn't work. I had it send me a new password and it still didn't work.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 07:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You're probably changing the membership provider section in your web.config. That doesn't work because that influences the way passwords are hashed and stored. Make sure not to touch the UsersMembershipProvider while upgrading.

As for your account on here, you probably got locked out after too many password attempts, unfortunately we don't unlock people currently when they reset their password, if you can let me know which name / email to look for I can unlock the account for you.

• Aparna 11 posts 92 karma points
    Jul 31, 2019 @ 09:46
    Aparna

I was upgrading from 7.6.13 to 7.7.0. Keeping the UsersMembershipProvider intact helped me able to login successfully. But faced different issue after login, no sections are loading...

• waycooljen 7 posts 77 karma points
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 12:53
    waycooljen

Thank-you!!! Now I know what to look out for when upgrading. Will keep that in my notes for future reference.

Jennifer Killingsworth - email is my name + @myfwc.com.

Thanks so much!

Sep 27, 2017 @ 13:39
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Let me know if that tip helped for you!

Alright, I've unlocked your account, you should be able to use the "Forgot password" form one more time now to reset your password.

• Jennifer Killingsworth 191 posts 247 karma points
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 17:25
    Jennifer Killingsworth

Thanks! I'm successfully logged in under my regular account.

I've got umbraco upgraded from 7.6.5 to 7.7.1.

Everything appears to be working fine except for the user management section. I'm not seeing the new feature at all.

When I click on a user, I get an error message:

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Users.EditUser'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Register Namespace="umbraco" TagPrefix="umb" Assembly="umbraco" %> Line 2: <%@ Page Language="c#" Codebehind="EditUser.aspx.cs" MasterPageFile="../masterpages/umbracoPage.Master" AutoEventWireup="True" Inherits="Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Users.EditUser" %> Line 3: <%@ Register TagPrefix="cc1" Namespace="umbraco.uicontrols" Assembly="controls" %> Line 4:

Source File: /umbraco/users/editUser.aspx Line: 2

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.2102.0

Sep 28, 2017 @ 07:56
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Cool, you're very close. Make sure to update your trees.config accordingly, this line:

<add application="settings" alias="scripts" title="Scripts" type="umbraco.loadScripts, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="4" />

should be changed to:

<add application="settings" alias="scripts" title="Scripts" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.ScriptTreeController, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="4" />

So you need to update the type attribute.

• Jennifer Killingsworth 191 posts 247 karma points
    Sep 28, 2017 @ 12:30
    Jennifer Killingsworth

Tree.config was already set that way, but I rolled back the web.config to the original copy and ran winmerge again and now it's working.

Thanks for all your help! You've been a lifesaver! :)

• Alexander 8 posts 78 karma points c-trib
    Jul 19, 2018 @ 09:32
    Alexander

Hello.

I am having the same issue about Parse on the users section in backoffice. After upgrade from 7.6.6 to 7.11.1.

I updated trees.config but is not helping.

Any suggestions?

Jennifer, what do u mean when u said rollback web.config?

Thanks!!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft