Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Sep 28, 2017 @ 09:44
    Rob Watkins

I am trying to upgrade a 7.2.0 site to 7.7.1.

Recently, I have been using the new and vastly improved installer where you just point the new install at the old database and it upgrades in place - this worked flawlessly to get 7.2 up to 7.6.4 on a test server; now I'm trying to do the same on the live server to the newest version.

I cannot login to authorize the upgrade:

2017-09-28 10:29:38,329 [P18900/D4/T35] ERROR Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - Exception (11239933).
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'umbracoUser2UserGroup'.

I presume this is because of the big changes to the security system, but how am I supposed to upgrade now?

The umbracoConfigurationStatus is set to 7.2.0 which I understood should upgrade the DB automatically?

Sep 28, 2017 @ 10:24
    Rob Watkins

Update: I have just tested going to 7.6.4 and getting a similar error, so I must be doing something differently to how I remembered doing the old test upgrade!

What I am doing is:

1. Clone old database
    2. Create entirely new 7.7.1 website
    3. Add existing version number to new web.config
    4. Change connection string to clone of old database
    5. Browse to website
    6. I get the login screen for authorizing the upgrade
    7. LOGIN FAILS ON MISSING DB objects
    8. Once succeeded, I would merge views / custom code etc
    Sep 28, 2017 @ 13:16
    Sep 29, 2017 @ 08:28
    Rob Watkins

AHA! Forgot to use the membership provider settings from the old web.config. Did that and installed in seconds. Must have had serious brain problems yesterday,

So, the process is:

1. Create an IIS site for new install
    2. Extract new version to that
    3. Update web.config to have:
    4. Connection string pointing at old DB (ideally duplicate!)
    5. Old version number in umbracoConfigurationStatus
    6. Old UsersMembershipProvider key
    7. Start site, browse to site, go
    8. Merge all old Views
    9. Merge all additional custom config / scripts / etc.
  • Gijs 38 posts 133 karma points
    Sep 29, 2017 @ 09:45
    Gijs

Hey Rob,

I have the same problem, but using the old usermembershipprovider key didn't work. It gives a YSOD:

Unable to cast object of type 'umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider' to type 'Umbraco.Core.Security.UmbracoMembershipProviderBase'.

This is the one I used:

<add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" />

Do you have any thoughts on how to proceed forwards?

Oct 05, 2017 @ 09:34
    Rob Watkins

Hi Gijs, funnily enough I just tried my own technique on another site, this one a really old 4.11 version, and got the same result as you.

I did actually get it working, but tbh I was messing around so much I'm not sure what it was! The last thing I tried was a UserProvider section from a 7.2 install, and it started working around then.

Sorry I can't be any more help, wish I unambiguously knew what had worked as I have other sites to upgrade. Will post back if I can identify a consistent working upgrade process! The new process is 1000% better than it used to be, but I still can't find clear docs / blog posts on how to do it beginning to end, including getting the users working to authorize the upgrade in the first place.

Good luck! Post an answer if you find anything yourself.

Oct 05, 2017 @ 09:40
    Rob Watkins

P.S. Try using the new web.config provider settings for type, but make sure all the attributes from the old key are put in, including useLegacyEncoding="true" if it's an old site, or if it's already set to true.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft