Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jordan Levy 7 posts 76 karma points
    Oct 07, 2017 @ 21:18
    Jordan Levy

ServerVariables file returns 401 error if IIS AppPool 32-Bit Apps Enabled

We are using Umbraco 7.7.2 (although this problem existed in 7.6.x) on a Windows Server 2012R2 machine.

If we change the IIS Application Pool used by our Umbraco site to "Enable 32-bit Applications = true" the login screen remains blank.

Using Chrome's developer tool, a file /umbraco/ServerVariables?umb__rnd=4e6659... is trying to load, but IIS returns a 401 error.

If the AppPool is set so enable 32 bit is false, everything in the back office is fine.

We have legacy code that we are rewriting that uses old 32 bit COM dlls, and they need "Enable 32-bit Applications = true" to operate.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 08, 2017 @ 10:05
    Sebastiaan Janssen

That really shouldn't be a problem, I just tested setting Enable 32-bit Applications = true on my machine and that works just fine.

So since there's a 401 error you might want to check for permission problems or something like that.

Oct 08, 2017 @ 15:26
    Jordan Levy

It is good to know that the Enable 32-bit Applications = true issue is specific to our server.

Unfortunately there really is no /umbraco/ServerVariables file so I don't know If we'll be able to correct this simply by setting permissions on a file. I'll talk to our IT staff and see how they configured the web server. (My guess is that they hardened it using the windows Security Configuration Wizard.)

Where you running a locked down version of Windows 2012 Server?

If anyone has an idea about why this happens with Enable 32-bit Applications = true on our server I'd appreciate a place to start looking.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 08, 2017 @ 17:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

ServerVariables are a web API endpoint, not sure what could be wrong there. Not sure what the problem is then, and just realized that permissions should be fine if it works otherwise.

Oct 16, 2017 @ 00:00
    Jordan Levy

This is resolved.

I doubt anyone else will run into this issue, but the problem was related to an ISAPI filter loaded by our IT team.

Since this new Umbraco site is based on a legacy web site (originally written in 1997) using ASP classic, when IT set up the new web site they installed all the ISAPI filters used on the old site.

One of the filters dealt with IIS and http only cookies. (I was told this was a solution provided by Microsoft.) Removing that ISAPI filter fixed the problem of /umbraco/ServerVariables?umb__rnd=4e6659... resulting in a 401 permissions error messsage.

• Dawid 26 posts 136 karma points c-trib
    Jan 30, 2018 @ 22:24
    Dawid

For me it was my cookies. I've just cleared them and backoffice is working again.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft