Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dane McNaughton 8 posts 109 karma points
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 01:00
    Dane McNaughton

Preview not working in Internet Explorer 11

We've recently upgraded to Umbraco Version 7.6.4 (assembly: 1.0.6396.36621).

Since the upgrade, I'm unable to Preview content (published or otherwise) using Internet Explorer 11.

When I click "Preview", an "Umbraco Canvas Designer" window opens at a white screen with a spinninig icon in the centre. LHS menu bar is partially loaded, however, no icons are present.

IE Example

Issue persists on Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines running IE 11, even when running in IE Safe Mode with add-ons disabled.

Canvas designer previews loads fine in Chrome.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Oct 22, 2017 @ 23:22
    Dane McNaughton

I was unable to reproduce this behaviour offsite using Windows 7 / IE 11.

It seems particular to something in our corporate SOE.

Still, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2017 @ 23:56
    Dane McNaughton

The Fiddler trace below shows output of a preview attempt in Internet Explorer (top) vs Chrome (bottom.

Note the /umbraco/preview/undefined in Internet Explorer.

Chrome correctly calls /umbraco/dialogs/Preview.aspx?id=3234

Fiddler Trace

If I manually enter http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/umbraco/dialogs/preview.aspx?id=3234 into Internet Explorer, the page redirects to http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/3234.aspx and the preview renders OK.

Oct 30, 2017 @ 01:20
    Dane McNaughton

The root cause was found to be the way in which we've defined implemented the Intranet Zone in Internet Explorer. Our website is similarly named and is falling into the Intranet Zone definition.

Umbraco Preview makes a call to an external site to download some files, however, the call fails because of the zone configuration.

Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc all work because they don't have a concept of zones.

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    Jun 17, 2019 @ 23:26
    Murray Roke

Hi Dane,
    What was your solution to this issue? we are working on an intranet site, where the corporate browser is IE11 and we have the same issue. The calls we see failing are javascript calls relating to isArray and jQuery.

Jun 17, 2019 @ 23:52
    Dane McNaughton

Hi Murray,

The issue for us was related to Security Zones in Internet Explorer and our proxy script (if I recall correctly Chrome and Edge worked OK because they don't have the same security zone concept).

Our default domain policy pushed out by Group Policy was forcing everything ending in ourdomain .com.au to the "Intranet" security zone. Our proxy script was set to bypass the proxy for addresses ending in

When the default domain policy was disabled, ourdomain .com.au/umbraco uses the "Internet" security zone and therefore the proxy was able to download external internet content.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Regards Dane

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft