Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Nov 10, 2017 @ 20:29
    blackhawk

Ability to turn off or on, specific front end servers with Umbraco

With the Umbraco 7.6+ and up, If I have 4 front end servers setup, Is there a way through Umbraco to turn off 2 of them, while enabling the other 2 to run, and then vise-versa? Or does Umbraco not offer this flexibility, and we have to always run all 4 or turn off all 4 at a time?

I read the following resource on Flexible load balancing, but I don't think it answers this question directly.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 13, 2017 @ 09:35
    Jeavon Leopold

It is the responsibility of your load balancer to determine which servers are currently receiving traffic this is not within the control of Umbraco. If your load balancer has an management API or you are using a Cloud Service such as Azure Web Apps you could create an interface for it within Umbraco.

What it might be possible to do within Umbraco is specify that certain servers stop returning content and instead return a 503 status code for all requests. Certain web aware load balancers would detect the 503 and stop sending traffic to those servers. This is not something Umbraco does however you could implement it using a http module perhaps and creating a UI interface to configure which servers should be returning 503 and which should be "online".

Hope that's all helpful...

I'm interested to know why you would need this functionality?

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Nov 14, 2017 @ 15:44
    blackhawk

Thank you so much Jeavon! It's all good. I was simply comparing Umbraco to SharePoint 2013, sense in SharePoint there are some options for this type of management. I wasn't sure if Umbraco had something similar in itself. But my team is more than able to control this process for our load balancing system (As I just found out).

Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft