Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Dec 03, 2017 @ 13:34
    Carlos Mosqueda

7.7 starter kit and my dashed hopes and dreams...Umbraco eCommerce?

So I downloaded Umbraco 7.7 and got the new Starter Kit installed. Pretty cool.

Started poking around and started seeing product pages. I was like, oh my eCommerce integration out of the box!!! Excited, small happy dance then...... Nope. Not true, hopes dashed, dreams...crushed. Just a page with a buy button. I thought I was going to not have to try and get Merchello working or drop a $1000 US on uCommerce to get an eCommerce site up and running with the awesomeness that is Umbraco.

I have done the NopCommerce thing and it is great, just not Umbraco. And I guess they are trying some sort of integration with Umbraco but their solution is very clunky that you might as well just use NopCommerce independently. Merchello is nice but every time I try starting to implement it, for some reason the instructions to get it going are confusing and I just give up on it. uCommerce sure is a bad ass in the arena but cost prohibitive.

Are there plans for an Umbraco HQ developed eCommerce solution/package/integration? I know the focus is on Umbraco CMS alone but man, I was totally excited when I saw the front end having buy now buttons then I go into the admin and see nothing of the sort in terms of eCommerce. Kind of saddening.

I do think if HQ were to develop an eCommerce solution that would easily integrate with the core Umbraco, that Umbraco's adoption rate would jump considerably. I have multiple clients that I want to jump onto Umbraco but some have a need for eCommerce, so when I go to them and say "I have this great CMS called Umbraco that we should use. " And they say, oh does have eCommerce. I think, well it does in terms of third party integration and tell them the costs, the Umbraco idea gets looked at sideways as an option and they would rather go use Shopify or some other non-integrated service.

Just my humble opinion. But then again, eCommerce is a huge undertaking.
    But Umbraco the Friendly CMS and Umbraco the Friendly eCommerce.

Either way #H5YR

I of course love the new Umbraco, great work all! Thanks for all the hard work.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 03, 2017 @ 18:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

No plans! We make a web content management system, eCommerce systems are a whole different beast and we leave that to the experts. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft