Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rick Mason 38 posts 169 karma points
    Dec 20, 2017 @ 13:45
    Rick Mason

Where does the DistCache folder go with the EnvironmentTemp setting?

We have an instance of Umbraco running on Azure with auto-scaling. We sometimes have issues with "DISTRIBUTED CACHE IS NOT UPDATED" appearing in the logs and content not updating on the front end, but the solution to this has been to delete the ~/App_Data/Temp/DistCache/*.lastsynced.txt file and restart the site.

With Umbraco 7.6 and above the advice recommends setting:

<add key="umbracoContentXMLStorage" value="EnvironmentTemp" />

However, doing that means that the DistCache folder no longer exists under ~/App_Data/Temp/ so I can't delete the *-lastsynced.txt file when I need to.

Looking at the Umbraco source code it looks like the folder is moved to %temp%\UmbracoData\[app-domain-hash]\, but if I type echo %temp% on an Azure web app it resolves to D:\local\temp and the UmbracoData folder is not there, or anywhere on the D drive as far as I can tell.

So where does it go - can anyone find it?

• Lee Cook 28 posts 60 karma points
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 23:53
    Lee Cook

HI, Did you ever find out where this is stored? I have the exact same issue.

Thanks,

Lee

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 09:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It's hard to give a definitive answer to this because it depends on the server configuration (especially on Azure).

Code is here though so you can run this on the machine to figure it out:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/cf86409e3fec4198744189a48255543fc2f32614/src/Umbraco.Core/Sync/DatabaseServerMessenger.cs#L513

Looks like finding out what System.Environment.ExpandEnvironmentVariables("%temp%") returns should get you pretty close.

• Fredrik 11 posts 102 karma points
    May 10, 2019 @ 09:26
    Fredrik

Hi,

Did you guys find out where it was stored. I just starting struggeling with this and I assume that changing the setting to AspNetTemp will give me a whole other world of hurt :)

• Riadul Hoque 5 posts 98 karma points
    Jul 24, 2019 @ 20:42
    Riadul Hoque

System.Environment.ExpandEnvironmentVariables("%temp%") goes to

C:/Windows/Temp. You'll find the temp files in UmbracoData folder.

Hope this helps!

• Tajamal 87 posts 175 karma points
    Oct 16, 2023 @ 17:48
    Tajamal

Forgot to ask, how to do change from local to network file share "\server1\share" ?

I tried to change EnvironmentTemp to the above value and the umbraco broke and threw an error.

What if you are using more of than one umbraco instance (multiple web sites), how would that work?

• Tajamal 87 posts 175 karma points
    Oct 16, 2023 @ 07:15
    Tajamal

I have 3 servers

• Server 1: backoffice locally

Behind loadbalancer

• Server 1: frontend
    • Server 2: frontend
    • Server 3: frontend

Temp folder is configured on all server, will index get sync between servers, if updated from frontend?

Logs are not created on server2 and server3, but logs are saved on server1, why is that ? I stopped server1 to see whether it will be save something on server2 or server3, this change didn't save anything.

What am i doing wrong.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft