Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sweety Mohanty 5 posts 75 karma points
    Dec 27, 2017 @ 10:26
    Sweety Mohanty

Upgrading Umbraco Version for an existing website

Hello! We have a website for our company which uses Umbraco 3. As it is very old we want to move it to current version. But we also want to make major changes in UI. But sadly we do not have the source code anymore. Therefore, we are planning to develop it from scratch using the latest version and replace the old one. Is it possible?

And should I build the new project locally on my system and then deploy it? I would really appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks! Sweety Mohanty

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2017 @ 10:48
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Sweety

Do you want to use Umbraco Cloud?

It's absolutely possible to work locally with Umbraco Cloud project and deploy when you are done.

Umbraco version 3 is really old, I think it's the right solution to make the site from the scratch.

Thanks,

Alex

Dec 27, 2017 @ 10:59
    Sweety Mohanty

Thank you Alex!

I would like to develop on my system first and test it. After I get approval from my team, I can deploy it on cloud. Or is it I have to create a project on cloud first and then I must work on it?

As I am new to Umbraco I am going through tutorials to do so. If you know how I can guide myself through this process, that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Sweety

Dec 27, 2017 @ 11:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

You have to create a project in Cloud first, Umbraco Cloud provides you github repo and environments for development and testing, so it makes huge sense to use it during development.

Thanks,

Alex

Dec 27, 2017 @ 11:10
    Sweety Mohanty

Thanks!

As we already have the CMS, can we use that for development or do we need to have a new one? Can I make changes to upgrade it to 7?As we do not have source code will it be a problem?

Dec 27, 2017 @ 11:13
    Alex Skrypnyk

Umbraco is open source project, you can have a look at source code.

I think it's not a problem at all if you are going to create a project from the scratch.

You don't need development environment if you are using Umbraco Cloud, it's providing dev environment for you/

Thanks,

Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft