Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steven Applegate 18 posts 178 karma points
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 20:54
    Steven Applegate

What's the best practice for creating a single page for dynamic content

I'll try and explain my situation to see if this makes sense. My site structure is like this:

• Home
      • About
      • Contact
      • Properties

The Properties page is calling an external API to display a collection of real estate properties. The document type for Properties just has a couple basic properties, and my custom code does the rest.

What I'd like to do is have each of those properties link to a detail page, i.e. /properties/123. And then that detail page would check the id passed, and call the external API to get that data. So it'd be a single dynamic page, taking in an idea, that may or may not be managed in Umbraco.

My problem is that I don't know how to create that detail page. I thought about creating a Property Detail doc type and template, then creating a Detail page under Properties, and passing in the id through the query string. But that just seems...wrong. I don't like the idea of having a single page sitting in the tree structure.

I also was looking into route hijacking with a RenderMvcController, but it seems like that needs a Document Type and a page with that document type (unless I'm reading it incorrectly).

What would be the proper way to make this dynamic Properties Detail page?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 21:25
    Søren Kottal

Check out custom routes, that should help you :) https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/routing/custom-routes

Although, you might need to have your url as /properties/property/123.

• Steven Applegate 18 posts 178 karma points
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 22:05
    Steven Applegate

Thanks Søren, but that doesn't seem very clear to me.

I'm not sure what the UmbracoVirtualNodeRouteHandler is supposed to do, and there's no example of an implementation on that page.

It says:

The instance of UmbracoVirtualNodeRouteHandler is responsible for associating an IPublishedContent with this route.

Do I need a node created in the menu structure to use this? I'd rather not have a node sitting in the tree structure. If not, how does it render everything in the master template? Is having a doc type and template enough?

I feel like this would be a pretty common scenario, but seems like the least documented functionality. Is there a good example somewhere that you know of? I can't seem to find any.

Jan 08, 2018 @ 08:07
    Søren Kottal

Hi Steven

Here's an excerpt of the training docs

If you’ve worked with MVC routes before this looks familiar but we do have one addition. We use the ​UmbracoVirtualNodeByIdRouteHandler ​to instantiate the root node of our site so that any products returned will be represented as children of the site root. That’s a very Umbraco approach, but enables us to use the existing Umbraco Views/Templates which may contain logic for working with IPublishedContent with our external data.

Try adding ​<h1>@Model.Content.Name</h1>​ to your details page, you can see the Name of the underlying ​IPublishedContentf​or this route - eg. we are passing the details of the homepage.

Jan 06, 2018 @ 09:22
    Søren Kottal

Hi Steven

I think I have some examples from some of my training docs. They are at work, so I will get back to you monday :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft