Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Shipston 21 posts 113 karma points
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 12:13
    Dave Shipston

User account permissions

Can anyone offer me some advise about the following:

I'm running v7.7.6

I'd like to set up some content editors with their own login for the back office (simple enough) but I'd like each editor to only have access to the specific pages they have access to.

So if we take the example site structure of:-

Home - Colours - Red - Green - Blue - Textures - Rough - Smooth - Grooved

I can setup a user to have access to just the "Blue" page when they login and it shows in the Content section of the back office. But if I add the Green page as well, then suddenly the "Colours" subsection appears in the Content section and the user has access to all pages within, i.e. Red, Green and Blue.

1) Is this expected behavior? 2) And if it is, is there a way to restrict a user to individual pages across multiple sub-sections of a site??

I've tried to give a user access to individual pages across sub-sections, i.e. "Blue" and "Smooth", but what the user sees when they login are 'greyed out' links to "Colours" and "Textures" which aren't clickable.

Any advise would be most welcome as I've searched the Umbraco site and I find the documentation seriously lacking in a lot of basic aspects. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, so if anyone can point me to the right online resource for 7.7.6, that too would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 11, 2018 @ 12:47
    Dave Shipston

Sorry, didn't realize the site structure format would be removed, so below is an image showing the site structure better.

enter image description here

Jan 31, 2018 @ 10:47
    Dave Shipston

Never mind, I've sorted this issue - for me at least.

Disappointed nobody got back to me, but hey hum... if anyone is interested, here's what I did...

Specific to v7.7.6

1. Setup the content editor with a user account (obviously).
    2. As page permissions can only be added to 'Groups' I then setup a Group for the this content editor and just set 'Browse nodes' in the permissions here.
    3. Add the Group to the content editor's account
    4. If the page is buried within a main section or sub-section, you next need to setup a Group with browse permissions for the required section/sub-section. (This will allow the user to actually browse to the page in order to edit it in the back office).
    5. Add this browse Group to the content editors account.

So far, we have only added 'Browse node' permissions - NOT edit, save, or send to publish rights.

To add the required editing permissions, we can now do this at the page level.

1. In the content tree, browse to the required page.
    2. Select 'Permissions' under the 'Actions' button in the top right corner of the screen.
    3. Click the blue 'Select permissions for...' drop down and select the content editor's 'Group'
    4. On the next screen, select the permissions you require and click 'set permissions'
    5. Save and exist and you're done!

Now, when the content editor logs into the back office they will see the content sections they have browse rights to. They can browse to the page they want to edit and they should have the correct permissions to edit, publish or send to publish.

The downside for me, was that I was hoping to hide all of the pages they don't have the rights to edit, but this isn't the case. When allowing browse rights on a section or sub-section, they will get to view all of the pages within - although they won't have the rights to edit or change any of the content.

Hope this helps others in the same predicament as me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft