Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 20:10
    blackhawk

How to recognize external members inside of an Umbraco instance?

My team has an an SSO server with existing member data stored there. With Umbraco 7, what options do we have in performing the given steps:

• My already existing member that lives on my custom SSO server, will log in at this given server.

• Once this person is authenticated there, a token is passed to the Umbraco Instance (on another server), to see them as a "type of authorized member" through the CMS.

Is this possible with Umbraco 7? If so , what tools would I need to get the job done?

Thanks for any tips

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 21:40
    Nik

Hi Blackhawk,

I believe it is possible. The membership providers built into Umbraco, as I understand it they are based on asp.net identity as such you can role you own providers.

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Security/#back-office-users

Once you've rolled your own you need to update the web config file to tell umbraco to use them.

Another option, which is on the same page, could be to implement your own OAuth provider.

Thanks,

Nik

Jan 17, 2018 @ 22:02
    blackhawk

Nik thank you so much! If we implement our own OAuth provider...

• Can it be just for the front-end (member access)?

• Is it required for the member data to be stored within Umbraco?

• Can the external member authenticate externally (login from an external SSO server), and then return back to the Umbraco site as a "type of authenticated member" even-though their member data does not exist in the Umbraco instance?

• Is there a skeleton or guide of building a custom OAuth provider that has proven to work well with Umbraco?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you again!

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 22:37
    Nik

Honestly, I'm afraid I don't have those answers as I've never had a need to do it. I believe you can just create your own provider for the Members as in the web config Members and Users as defined separately.

As for things like single sign on, e.g. logging into another website first, no I'm not sure that is possible. At least I've not heard of anyone implementing that so far but it might just be that they've not talked about it.

What I have seen is people allowing things like facebook login, google login etc for their sites so they have the same username and password. I think a member account would get created if someone was logging in with an external provider, but I think it's like a shell account, so doesn't necessarily have all the information in it. You'd have to trial it and see what happens to be sure though. Or someone else here might be able to provide further information.

Jan 22, 2018 @ 14:57
    blackhawk

Still stuck on this one. Would anyone happen to have any clue as to what Umbraco + external member database + OAuth looks like from a coding standpoint?

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jan 22, 2018 @ 15:06
    Steve Morgan

Hi Blackhawk,

Does this point you in the right direction?

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/74219-custom-membership-provider

Kind regards

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft