Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simeon Ostberg 123 posts 389 karma points
    Jan 25, 2018 @ 12:22
    Simeon Ostberg

Change web.config settings in Umbraco backend?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, if it is possible to change settings in web.config from the backend.

We have some external macros in our Umbraco for selling accreditations or so. This is coming from an external database. When I set up a new edition in this database, the edition ID changes (of course).

However, the database content, which is shown on our website, is controlled by keys in the web.config. I would like to do this a little more userfriendly and do these settings in the backend. Is this possible?

So, basically: Is it possible to change an add key value in the Umbraco backend?

Thanks a lot!

Best, Simeon

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2018 @ 12:28
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Simeon

There is a package - https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/config-tree/ Try to use it

Alex

Jan 25, 2018 @ 13:07
    Simeon Ostberg

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot, but I guess, this is not, what I'm looking for. I was more looking for a possibility to use a datapicker or so. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Best, Simeon

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 25, 2018 @ 14:49
    Søren Kottal

Hi Simeon

You can't OOTB, but you can without too much effort create a dashboard for editing specific parts of the web.config.

I created one for controlling ModelsBuilders settings. You can see the source here for inspiration: https://github.com/skttl/SettingsDashboardForModelsBuilder

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 27, 2018 @ 20:56
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It would be a bad idea to keep updating the web.config, every time you save it, the application pool recycles. I would go for either an Umbraco document with these values in them, so you can easily query it, or a text file that will not recycle the app pool every time you need to update it.

Jan 29, 2018 @ 15:12
    Simeon Ostberg

I understand. How would I best do this? Or is it really bad? Especially considering, that the changes are done once a year or so.

Best, Simeon

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft