Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 31, 2018 @ 10:20
    Ismail Mayat

Upgrade now cannnot log in

Guys,

I have just upgraded a site from 7.6.1 to 7.7.9 and when i hit site it wants me to login to run the upgrade however the credentials no longer work.

I am not locked out checked the umbracoUsers table and i have useLegacyEncoding="true" still cannot login.

Also looking at console output i get error 400 bad request

Anyone seen this before.

Regards

Ismail

• Pawel Bres 39 posts 160 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2018 @ 10:57
    Pawel Bres

do you have DB backup before the upgrade? could you check if password hash didn't change?

Jan 31, 2018 @ 10:57
    Ismail Mayat

Pawel,

Will check that in the db as its sql ce and checked into source control.

Regards

Ismail

Jan 31, 2018 @ 11:11
    Ismail Mayat

Pawel,

No password hash has not changed.

Regards

Ismail

• Pawel Bres 39 posts 160 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2018 @ 21:00
    Pawel Bres

Ismail,

I think I had this problem once, the solution was to do a progressive update, to every major version in between. In your case, it would be an upgrade to 7.0 and then to 7.7.9

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Feb 01, 2018 @ 08:34
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Could it just be a corrupt session - have you tried hitting the site from a browser you don't use or in incognito mode?

I've seen some cookie / session issues mean I can't log in after upgrades.

Guessing you've already tried this though?

Steve

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 02, 2018 @ 22:32
    Nicholas Westby

Ismail, did you ever figure this out?

May 03, 2018 @ 08:21
    Ismail Mayat

Not for this project but i did another upgrade had similar issue and fixed that my updating the web.config membership part also i did upgrade by creating blank umbraco site i wanted to upgrade to then pointed it to my existing db then did a deploy.

Regards

Ismail

• Denford 132 posts 323 karma points
    May 02, 2018 @ 22:52
    Denford

had a similar issue a while ago not sure if exactly the same but, the old site used usernames to log in and after upgrade the default logic is to use email address.

I remember having to edit the providers if the web config to allow the legacy way of logging in i.e.

<add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="4" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" />

Try that think the key setting is the use legacy encoding

• Jeremy Henkes 2 posts 72 karma points
    May 16, 2018 @ 07:57
    Jeremy Henkes

I have the same issue after upgrading from 7.2.2 to 7.8.1. I tried how far I could go and up until 7.6.13, there are no problems. With 7.7.0, the login suddenly stops working. I always get the 'Authentication/PostLogin Internal Server Error (500)'.

Things I've tried so far:

• useLegacyEncoding true/false (true should be working in my case)
    • Copying web.config from a working project
    • Adding customHeaders for 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' and 'Access-Control-Request-Headers' with value '*' in the web.config
    • Copying DB table layout (umbracoUser) from a working project (incl. rows)
    • Manually downloading/replacing umbraco files
    • Upgrading umbraco via nuget update
    • Checked userNoConsole=0
    • Deleting App_Data; resetting cache; incognito mode; deleting bin

I've spent 3 hours searching for solutions but none seem to work for me. The login post request doesn't go through, because I can enter a wrong password as often as I want without the DB or log registering failed login attempts.

Any other ideas I could try?

Jeremy

• Denford 132 posts 323 karma points
    May 17, 2018 @ 07:59
    Denford

Just out curiosity is your site on azure as a web app or on an actual server, cloud or otherwise. The reason why i ask is i noticed in my case was an azure app and i was deploying direct from visual studio and did notice some of the files were not being updated with the new 1s, especially the ones in the umbraco folders, so had to physically delete theme from the app then deploy again.

• Jeremy Henkes 2 posts 72 karma points
    May 18, 2018 @ 09:22
    Jeremy Henkes

The site is hosted on an actual server. I've updated already several other sites to version 7.8.1 without any issues, but the previous version of these was always 7.5.x+.

My next step will be to do a clean install of version 7.2.2 and update it to 7.8.1. I'll let you know whether the login works after that or not. If it does, then it's a configuration issue on my end.

Jeremy

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 18, 2018 @ 15:18
    Nicholas Westby

For anybody who is curious, my issue was a bug with the Umbraco core: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-11300

In essence, Umbraco changed how users work for Umbraco 7.7, so you need to upgrade to that version first, and then you can upgrade to the latest version.

That's probably the cleanest workaround. Somebody else posted another workaround though: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-11258#comment=67-46492

Since my issue was actually a duplicate, I encourage anybody who runs into this to vote on the original issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-11258

• Markus Johansson 1909 posts 5733 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 31, 2018 @ 12:06
    Markus Johansson

Just wanted to share that the the solution for me was to first go to 7.7.13 and then to latest version (at the moment 7.11.1)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft