Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Elaine McGovern 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 01, 2018 @ 18:07
    Elaine McGovern

Notifications from Umbraco 6

Hi

Complete non-technical person here so forgive my ignorance. I am a content manager hoping to devolve content editing but with light touch moderation (ie I get a notification when someone publishes a page or uploads an asset so I can give it the once over). Not looking for full-on workflow and approval.

We have Umbraco v6 hosted on a private cloud but with no email configuration (yet). That I hope is in hand, but when it comes to getting the notifications out of Umbraco do we need to use Content Service Events (https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/events/ContentService-Events) or am I utterly reading that wrong?

Hope someone can help, or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Feb 02, 2018 @ 00:29
    Marc Goodson

Hi Elaine

Have you discovered the built in notifications in Umbraco 6?

If you right click an item in the Umbraco content tree, from the action menu that appears, choose 'Notifications'

enter image description here

Which then brings up a menu of all the different actions that you can subscribe to be notified about...

enter image description here

and you can tick the 'publish' option

and then any time that page is published (or a page underneath that page... the notifications you setup cascade downwards)

You'll receive an email (as long as email is configured on the server!) to notify you that the action has occurred...

but if that's not enough for you to keep an eye on things, then yes you can write custom code to hook into ContentService and MediaService events, to send email or log activities to a database.

Also Umbraco tracks 'who did what, when' into a database table called 'umbracoLog', there are packages for Umbraco 7 :-( (Audit log view, and whodunnit') that would enable you to see the contents of this log easily, which would be another way of keeping an eye on things... but I think you'd have to do something custom for Umbraco 6

• Elaine McGovern 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 02, 2018 @ 13:02
    Elaine McGovern

Hi Marc, thanks this is really helpful. Means almost nothing to me but I shall pass it on to someone who understands :) Thanks so much for your reply.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft