Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• marcelh 171 posts 471 karma points
    Feb 14, 2018 @ 15:20
    marcelh

Public access regardless of role

We are developing a website where members are granted access to specified nodes using Umbraco's Public Acces. All works well as long as members have a role.

What if we would grant access to all authenticated users, regardless of their role? Specifying all possible roles in the Public Access dialog feels counterintuitive. Just like giving all users a "always-authorised-when-logged-in-role". But when you setup Public Access without selecting any role, the user is transferred to the "Error Page" (the user is logged on but does not have access).

Is there any method we can override, or is setting up Public Access simply not possible without specifying a role?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 15, 2018 @ 07:52
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Marcel,

Why not just create a group Authenticated Members and Automatically assign this group to all members using the event system?

Check the answer on this post to see how to wire up the event system for members.

Best,

Richard

• marcelh 171 posts 471 karma points
    Feb 15, 2018 @ 10:25
    marcelh

Hi Richard! That would be the "always-authorised-when-logged-in-role". But I have the scenario that some members are more equal than others ;-)

Eg.

home (authorised only)
    page 1 (authorised only)
    page 2 (authorised only)
    page 3 (authorised only AND in role xyz)
    login (public)

This would require the following setup for Public Access using the "always-authorised-when-logged-in-role" and is counter-intuitive from my view:

home (always-authorised-when-logged-in-role)
    page 1 (always-authorised-when-logged-in-role)
    page 2 (always-authorised-when-logged-in-role)
    page 3 (xyz-role)
    login (public)

And there it gets messy for page 3, as the specified roles are evaluated as OR, not as AND if I'm correct.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft