Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismael 71 posts 354 karma points
    Feb 28, 2018 @ 23:32
    Ismael

Front-end member access with Active Directory

Hi, For an intranet scenario I'm looking to have front-end users login using Active Directory. I've read similar questions asked on the forum but they either go unanswered or are specific to backoffice or different AD (such as Azure or ADFS).

I've tried various package with no success, it seems this process was easy pre umbraco 7.3 so those examples don't work the the current version i'm using (7.8.1)

I keep arriving at Shannon's UmbracoIdentity package but I have no idea how to use it to integrate active directory for front-end members. I'm not even sure if using this is the correct way to go.

I'd be grateful for any tips or pointers on this.

Thanks!

• Ismael 71 posts 354 karma points
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 01:14
    Ismael

I think I may not been approaching this correctly, I still want Umbraco to manage my front-end members as they will have additional metadata attached to them in Umbraco that won't be in Active Directory. I just want to allow the members to be able to login in using their Active Directory Passwords.

So I'm thinking that I don't really need to mess with the providers at all and I could instead put my logic in my login action to check AD at that point, if they are valid then i just set the cookie and from then on it's all handled naturally by Umbraco.

Does this sound sensible?

thx.

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 08:05
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Hi Ismael,

What you could do is write your own Sync process which syncs your Active Directory users with the Umbraco Members.

Haven't tried it before but maybe something like Zapier could be handy. You can use a webhook which calls a url, a SurfaceController in Umbraco, with metadata ( your member properties ) to create a Member.

/Michaël

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Jul 09, 2019 @ 18:09
    Eric Schrepel

Did you ever get an understandable reply to this? We're in a similar situation, want users to automatically log in to an Umbraco v.8 Intranet via Okta and Active Directory, but we need to make a login page of some sort so that Okta can have something to auto-complete. We don't necessarily even need membership type of logins because the whole intranet will have the same access for all employees.

Anyway, if any groovy solutions were offered or you found another method, would be interested in hearing, thanks.

• Claude Häberli 9 posts 99 karma points
    Jul 09, 2019 @ 22:03
    Claude Häberli

I am still quite new to Umbraco and I have only used Version 8, but I think you might need to write your own MembersMembershipProvider and MembersRoleProvider for the Login Part. And don't forget to register them in the web.config. But if you want to store additional data for to the members it will be necessary to import the users.

A realted topic was discussed here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/74219-custom-membership-provider

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft