Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ajay Sogi 5 posts 105 karma points
    Mar 15, 2018 @ 22:31
    Ajay Sogi

Pulling existing Azure Website and Installing it locally?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help point me into the right direction here. I apologise in advance if this question has been asked several times but i just cannot seem to find an answer to what i am looking for.

I have been working on a Umbraco site that has already been configured and set up on the azure.

I wanted to clone this site locally and configure it to a separate local database, effectively creating a local staging environment, so that when changes need to be made to the site, the can be tested locally before being deployed live.

Could some one point me in the right direction?

If there is a much better way to doing this, that would also be appreciated too! Looking for best practice methods.

Thanks in advance.

• Alistair Jenkins 92 posts 315 karma points
    Mar 16, 2018 @ 13:33
    Alistair Jenkins

Hi Ajay,

I did this recently and started by installing Visual Studio Community 2017 and MS SQL Server 2017 Developer locally. I then downloaded the site files via ftp and got a .bacpac of my database (you'll need BLOB storage to output this to, though I didn't have any so just signed up for the short time it took to output the .bacpac and then download it from storage.) I then installed the database in SQL Server using the .bacpac through SQL Server Management Studio. I then installed a clean Umbraco installation in VS using NuGet, making sure to use the same version that the original site used and copied all the site specific files into that installation. Then I had a wee bit of bother working out the connection string in web.config. In the end I had to make sure that the database in SQL Server was using SQL Server authentication rather than Windows authentication and used a connection string like this:

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=myPCname;database=myDBname;user id=username;password='password'" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

I think that is the bare bones of what worked though there was a lot of grief as I'm not an expert but I got there in the end. Good luck!

Cheers, Alistair

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft